Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
themastergardener1

Large Foliage.

TheMasterGardener1
11 years ago

I want to help pepper growers use the right fertilizer. If you use a fertilizer that is higher in N all the time you may have a lot of foliage growth but not much fruit. High N fertilizers are to be used for foliage plants not peppers.

MaxiBloom 5-15-14 with 5% Ca, 3.5%Mg, and 4% sulfur. Right now this plant is full of huge peppers growing fast.

The low N and added calcium really helps.

I would never have so many peppers on this little plant if I had used a fertilizer too high in N that was intented for foliage growth ;).

{{gwi:53956}}

Comments (9)

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

Peppers don't need much N compared to many vegetable crops.

I hit mine (in-ground, good nutrient/exchange profile) with a dose a week or so after I transplant (I use small transplants, 2-3 true leaf nodes on the plant).

I give them a 1/2 dose a little bit after the first "flush" of fruit is harvested.

Around my area if you extend the vegetative growth stage too long you're going to miss the ideal production capacity for the 1st "flush" of peppers because it gets too hot for good set by mid-June. If you're not setting fruit by then you're not going to get as many peppers without some shade.

You can save a bit of money using your nutrient additions "plain" or as needed. N, especially, can be very cheap in a variety of sources...and many times it's all the garden needs (and the most used).

The Maxibloom (as well as many other products) is a great "booster shot" of micronutrients, but I generally use a product like that only once a season, early in the season...more if in containers.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Very good info :) from last year.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Very good info :) from last year.

Caelian

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Plants always use more Nitrogen than other macro-nutrients. All season long.

Josh

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Here in DK it depends on the plants we grow. The fertilizer for pepper, tomato and aubergine are less Nitrogen and high Potassium with other many micro nutrients. First time I used high Nitrogen fertilizer, it produced a lot of new buds that attracts aphids and problematic to spray insecticide/pesticide too because of the tender leaves/buds. This time I use the fertilizer for pepper it really gives benefits to my plants.

I am not a chilihead but chilihands who loves experiment :-). I made may decision to do/use anything else for my plants according to the results I got from my experiment. Chilihands does not have much theoretical knowledge but eager to experiment. Just a joke :-)
    Caelian

Edited for correction : high potassium

This post was edited by chilliwin on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 14:42

10 years ago

None of that changes the fact, however, that plants use more Nitrogen than any other nutrient ;-) Even when limiting Nitrogen, the plant will still be demanding/using more Nitrogen than anything else.

Josh

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

"About plant nutrients

Most plants need three major nutrients to thrive; nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium, which are generally known as NPK (their chemical symbols). The three main nutrients are needed by plants for different reasons. Nitrogen promotes leaf growth, phosphorous is for the roots and potassium is needed for flower and fruits. The amount of each is written on fertiliser packets as a ratio, for instance 6:4:6. Note that the order of nutrients is always the same, ie N, P, K. If the ratios are about the same, it is a general-purpose fertiliser and will aid all round growth, but some fertilisers are higher in one or another nutirent. For instance, tomato fertiliser is designed to promote lots of plump fruit and will be high in potassium (K) and have a ratio of 4:5:8. Similarly a fertiliser for feeding grass in the spring will be high in nitrogen.

To remain healthy, plants also need other nutrients, such as calcium (Ca), sulphur (S) and magnesium (Mg), as well as zinc (Zn), iron (Fe), copper (Cu), boron (B) and manganese (Mn). Smaller amounts of these will be contained in most general fertilisers."

Caelian

Here is a link that might be useful: About plant nutrients-BBC Gardening

10 years ago

Yes, but plants don't use the NPK nutrients in those strange ratios. It is just a gimmick, and a waste really...all that excess Phosphorous and Potassium just flushing into the environment :-)

Josh

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

I am not a chilihead, I admire other people's experiences and reasonable tips :-)

Caelian

Sponsored