Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

I think I have mealybugs

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

last night I was looking at my habanero, and saw something white and fuzzy on one of the pods. my first reaction was to cut it off, and cut the pod open to see what was inside (nothing), when what I shoulda done was take a picture. google image search leads me to think it might be a mealybug. normally my bug problems are limited to the leaves, but some A-hole bug decided to cross the line. now it's time for war. how do I kill them? does the soap spray work, or do I need to start getting creative?

Comments (9)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Hopefully someone has a classic answer but sans further guidance, I would start with the least extreme solution and work up. But with the availability of ammo right now, I would pick up an extra box of 12 gauge shells next time you are in the store just in case it comes to that. Just be sure to aim a little high so that you don't damage the plant.

Bruce

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

If it was just one, he's gone and no need to spray. If its a lot then hose em off with water or soap and should be good.

Mark

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know if it's just one. I've been seeing some white fuzz lately, and just lumped it together with the whiteflies that I've been meaning to get around to killing. I'm not treating these things seriously as I should be, I know. I've been super busy lately, and every time I spend more than 20 min on my plants my wife gives me hell for spending time with them and not helping her pack. it's been a rough couple of weeks, with no signs of relief in sight.

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

I feel for you, bro.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I'd give everything a good couple treatments of soap and then neem... and then move. This way, you're not bringing any along for the ride.

Kevin

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm actually moving saturday morning. I'll soap the heck outta them tonight, and maybe again tomorrow. the wife is gonna hate me.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Just do the soaping at night, which is the best time anyways. Midnight of course is ok and she should be sleep by then lol. Good luck on that and your move. I was in the same boat moved to PA from MD and gave away all but three of my plants.

Mark

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

trust me, she tried to pull the "why don't you just keep a few..." routine. I countered with "I'll just give away a few."

I soaped the crap outta them tonight. it was worse than I realized. whiteflies were everywhere. hopefully most are dead now. I gotta get some neem.

turns out another pepper on that same plant had something similar on it. though I think it was just a weird spider. in fact I saw quite a few spiders on my pepper plants. several different kinds. is that normal? I'm gonna have to not mention that part to my wife if I want her to help me load them into the truck.

saw at least one adult mealybug for sure though. hopefully he's dead now too.

gonna have to order some lacewings for the new place. I planted a ton of marigolds there, so hopefully they'll stick around.

also, one of the habs that got left on my counter turned bright yellow. kinda cool, I wasn't expecting that.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Best of luck to you on the move and plants. I have spiders hanging out every now and then but not too often. You may be seeing more because you have a food source that they hang around. Once you clear the whiteflies and mealy bugs they will either have died from the soap or will move on.

Mark

Sponsored