Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Regarding the 5-1-1 mix

Posted by avidgardener25 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 11:17

I have access to the perlite, as well as the pine bark, but what is the MVP turface? Does anyone have a link to a website that shows local dealers or anything like that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Regarding the 5-1-1 mix

Turface is not part of the 5-1-1, but of the gritty mix. Since you also have perlite, I'll assume you are actually looking for 5-1-1, which also needs peat and dolomitic lime which are both easy to locate.

o

Ok thanks for the clarification. I was a bit troubled as to what the actual ingredients were.

o

The turface you're refering to is a ~modification~ of the 5-1-1 that a few of us, mainly Josh and I - maybe a few others, use as a replacement for the peat fraction of the original mix. Capo is also correct in the fact that it's a component of the "gritty" mix. It's not required, however, it does provide much more durability and structure to the 5-1-1. This is benificial if you aim to get a few years out of it, rather than the one and done aspect of the peat fractioned mixes.

This year I'm not using peat at all for the short term plantings. I'm using the fine screenings of my bark (1/16" - 1/8") as a replacement. There's all kinds of modifications that you can make to the 5-1-1 to customized it to your liking. The important thing is to understand why the ingredients work and what their properties are, as opposed to how they are labeled, then the sky is the limit with how you choose to build your own.

Good Luck!

PJ

o

Well said PJ.

o

Very well said, indeed!

Josh

o

Agree with DaMonkey as well. I would however suggest that anyone newly exploring mixing their own soil less mix start of with the standard 5:1:1 for annual plants to get familiar with the differences in working with a fast draining soil as compared to peat based soils they may be more familiar with, then decide what modifications they may require based on their own needs and material availability. The standard 5:1:1 is the baseline of which all other mixes would be measured against, and has cheap materials in it, so it's good to get familiar with it first if the materials are available. Since the OP was unfamiliar with Turface, I think it would be best for them to start with the standard mix initially. We know that it already works in most situations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here