Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to harvest seeds

Posted by azzure08 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 11:17

so I have a hab plant and a scotch plant I want to save the seeds in case something happens to my plants this year. Do I just take the seeds out and let them dry or put them in the fridge.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to harvest seeds

Cut the pod in half, scrape out the seeds;

Remove the seed from any attached placenta;

Spread the seed out on a paper towel and place in an area with good airflow for two weeks;

Save dried seed in an envelope and store in a cool dry place.

You may want to use gloves ;-)

o

You probably already know this but collect seed from ripe fruit.

o

I dry pods, cut in 1/2 let it dry out with seeds then when I am ready to use the dried pod or seeds I pluck them out.

Also picked fresh plucked out seeds, place on a paper plate put on the top shelf of bakers rack to dry out.

Mark

o

thank you both

o

What ottawa said.

o

azzure:

You also want to isolate the pods that you want to save for seed. You can do that by having the plants farther than 500 feet from one another or go to the link below and go to the last post with pics. Esox(Bruce) showed me a way to do it when one doesn't have that kind of space to work with.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: click here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here