Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini harvest

Posted by scott123456 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 11:36

I picked these along with about an additional 10 fatali, a couple yellow brain strains and a few yellow cayenne the other day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini harvest

Beautiful peppers. Now it's time to make something spicy!

Tim

o

Thanks Tim! I made a yellow sauce (more like a very thin syrup) with pineapple, mango, pear, yellow fatali, yellow brain strains, golden cayennes, agave nectar, apricot brandy, sweet onion, garlic, lemon juice and lime juice. Best sauce I have made yet.

o

That sauce looks and sounds awesome! I wanna try making sauces this year once I start harvesting. Care to share the recipe or is it top secret lol. I just bought a hot sauce cook book so I gotta get the experimenting on this summer.
Rey...

o

Nice Scott! Sounds good.

Kevin

o

Thanks guys!

Rey I didn't really follow a recipe or keep track of what I was doing. A dash of this a little of that, tasted added more of this and more of that. I boiled it for like 15 minutes, blended, then strained.

If I had to guess it was something like

1/2 pineapple
2 mangoes
1pear
10 fatali
2 yellow brain strain
4 yellow cayenne
4 cloves of garlic a half of a sweet onion
Splash of apricot brandy
Salt
Covered with limon lime and white vinegar
Splash of oj
A bottle of agave nector
After boiling blending and straining u added more limon lime and vinegar and some sugar

o

Without the onions, garlic and vinegar that sounds like it might make an interesting cocktail syrup or even ice cream topping.

o

It works great on ice cream now. I love it on cottage cheese! It also makes a great wing sauce. The sweet onion is cooked down to nothing, so it it just tastes sweet . Vinegar, you can't taste it. There is so much sugar and very little vinegar , but you could leave it out, just use more lemon or lime juice.

To clarify, I caramelized the garlic and onion first . Then I added the fruit and peppers and cooked it down some more. Next I added the liquids and started to boil. Finally,I stirred in the agave nectar and boiled for 15 min ish .

I added more Liquid at the end to thin it out , and dilute the heat to the point I liked.

This post was edited by scott123456 on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 3:40

o

Thanks Scott sounds great, I was thinking the same thing about using it on ice cream. Just need the peppers lol. Couple more weeks for me.

o

Rey , you will have plenty of peppers soon enough. It seems like once the supers start ripening, I can't use them fast enough to keep up. Just an FYI I did not BWB the sauce because I wasn't sure if it was safe. I would love to make a jelly like this sauce but again not sure if it would be a safe recipe.
Everything in it is acidic, besides the peppers, onion, and garlic so it is probably safe but I'm not sure. Anyone know if this would be safe to make a jelly with?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here