Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greengrass12

Pics- Peppers grown in pure Compost

greengrass12
11 years ago

Cylinder filled with compost and little espoma org fert added.

1 jalepeno on left and 2 cayenne on right

Comments (6)

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

For those that say to NEVER use compost in containers. Please can you show me a better plant then that?^

• Darylltx
    11 years ago

Interesting....... will this growing medium provide too much nitrogen? It seems you have a lot of green growth, especially that left plant in lower pic. Have you gotten good yield, many peppers besides those cayennes?

Daryll

• greengrass12
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's raining here now so I can't count but there are many peppers there that don't show up in the picture probably because they are the same lush green color as the leaves. Jalepenos are not as prolific as cayenne, at least not the ones that I grow.

Compost provides a nice slow and steady release of nitrogen. The chemical ferts will give you a quick shot of nitrogen and too much will burn your plant. Hard to over dose organically.

This is for master gardner as I have talked to you about it before.-- I forgot to mention one ing. The secret to growing peppers org is in the micorhizae

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

A mycorrhiza (Gk. üÃÂúÃÂÃÂ, myk�s, "fungus" and ÃÂùöñ, riza, "roots",[1] pl. mycorrhizae or mycorrhizas) is a symbiotic (generally mutualistic, but occasionally weakly pathogenic) association between a fungus and the roots of a vascular plant.[2]
    In a mycorrhizal association, the fungus colonizes the host plant's roots, either intracellularly as in arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (AMF), or extracellularly as in ectomycorrhizal fungi. They are an important component of soil life and soil chemistry.

Is that what you were referring to?

• greengrass12
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes that's the stuff but I use endo not ecto for my peppers and toms. There are those on the net that will argue that myko is found naturally in soils and no need to buy it. Others will argue that myko is of no value.

I find in my organic gardening that myko is a tremendous assist especially if growing in containers.

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

Greengrass: Those are some happy looking peppers! Cheers.
    Keep it sustainable!

Sponsored