Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
habjolokia

White Ghost pepper?

habjolokia z 6b/7
10 years ago

I've seen it mentioned here and there but have not found any good pics or proof of a natural mutation or cross. I would like one, so if I am going to get one looks like I will have to try.

I sort of followed this process

http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=54

But I did not use a Q-tip I just pulled the flower and took it over to the other to cross the pollen.

White Habanero X Ghost. Since they are outside once I crossed pollinated I put tiny plastic over the bud and used a twist tie for 24 hrs to make sure it was pollinated from the Habanero pollen. I crossed three on the Ghost and two on the habanero. Out of the 5 attempts one Habanero X Ghost is now a pod. I hope that the seeds grow White Ghost peppers we will see.

The method looks easy but I had knocked off a few flowers while trimming the flowers.

Here is a pic of the young pod with a red twist tie for a marker.

Mark

Comments (25)

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

Wow, hopefuly it works and if so is be willing to trade for some of those seeds. Although, would they really be viable? Interesting none the less, can't wait until it's ripe!

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are both c. chinense so cross should be viable. I will not know how the cross went until I plant the seeds from the crossed pod. I will know at the end of the 2014 season. I think color trait may be one of the hardest to get across the gene pool?

Sure I would be up for a SASBE or trade.

Mark

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

I have 3 plants from seed I got last year for White Bhut , White 7 Pot and White T.Scorpion.
    Wonder what I'll get....
    I have no idea if they are Hybrids - F?.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow interesting Smoke, do your plants have pods yet? I would be interested to know if any pods grow true.

Mark

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

The White Bhut is not a mutation, it is a hybrid.

Josh

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Josh, do you know of have you seen the white Bhut? Seems as its name represents its a ghost lol. I have not seen any posts or pics that represent the elusive white Bhut. Do you know of any link or place to get seeds?

Mark

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Mark, I am growing white bhuts this year from seeds Judy at pepperlover.com sent me free with my order. not something I would have bought, colors don't impress me much other than the chocolates I like them, but it was really cool of her. so I will let you know soon. they are just starting to set pods now. i'll have plenty of seeds for everyone this fall, I have 15 - 20 of them growing.

10 years ago

Hey, Mark, yeah on facebook Jim Duffy posts pics of Orange and White Bhuts, and I asked if they were hybrids, which he confirmed. Here's a video of a pod review...not an endorsement or advertisement on my part, just sharing so that the pepper itself can be seen. Feel free to watch without audio.

White Bhut Jolokia Review

Josh

• remy101
    10 years ago

I am also interested in white bhut seed. I can trade other pepper seeds

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the information and links provided. I looked at them and even watched the video. Looks like its created. I will still grow out my cross and hope for white with the bumpy skin :-)

Mark

• dbuchner
    10 years ago

I have a White Bhut from pepperlover that is podding now. They look interesting. Still a little way till ripening, so hopefully they will end up looking like Casper. I saw a review that claimed they tasted like 7up! Hope mine turn out that way. For the meantime I'm chowing down my white habs like they are candy!

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dbuchner awesome pic and by the looks of your pod at least it's true Bhut white. Thanks for posting that and please update us on the taste and heat.

Mark

• romy6
    10 years ago

Mark several people are growing them but none I have seen have the pimply surface. Not nearly as much heat or flavor from what i have heard. The pic dbuchner posted is pretty spot on to the others I have seen. My Not white bhuts look just like those but they went red :(

• Philip Lewis
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I actually just took these pics this morning because some of these guys have been white for over 3 weeks. When I bought this plant, I was told it was a Ghost Pepper plant, but I thought they were supposed to turn red if that's the case. Anyways, just found out there are actually white Ghost Peppers as well. Do these look like they could be those? I would hate to find out now after all this time, that my plant isn't even what I thought it was.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

certainly leaning towards a white pod. But the texture doesn't really look like a ghost. Very interesting plant.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's a cool looking pepper. I was hoping that there would be a white ghost with bumpy skin. I don't know if those are the white ghost because I never grew them.

8 years ago

White ghosts are a non-Bhut hybrid plant. One day there may be an actual white Bhut mutation. Until then, if they're smooth, they're not true Bhut/Ghost.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

Ahhh, do you know what the heat factor is like on them?

• Big Kahuna
    8 years ago

It looks like it could be the white bhut from pepperlover:

Pepperlover white bhut

Pepperlover also has a white naga:

Pepperlover white naga

There supposedly is a true white bhut mutation also:

Urban farmer white bhut

8 years ago

That last one looks the best.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I agree with Josh that last one looks like the real deal, now if the seeds grow true, that would be interesting. Thanks for the link that may be one I want to grow.

Mark

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

I agree. A little longer and skinnier than I would expect but otherwise they look good.

• MikeUSMC
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Philip's pic looks exactly like the pods I grew last season from a White "Bhut" plant from Cross Country Nurseries/ chileplants.com No, it doesn't look like a true "Bhut," but they did ripen to a creamy, ivory color (never finishing red). Nowhere near true Bhut heat level, very close to Hab level heat. Very, very productive plant though, with phenomenal flavor! Somewhat sweet (maybe a touch of smokiness), and a hint of apple flavor in there. I'd definitely grow this one again, for its flavor alone. I'd estimate that I pulled somewhere between 80-100 pods off a single plant. It was fairly compact too. Maybe 30" tall x 24" wide

Sponsored