Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Ghost pepper?

Posted by habjolokia 7 (zellmarkj@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 11:48

I've seen it mentioned here and there but have not found any good pics or proof of a natural mutation or cross. I would like one, so if I am going to get one looks like I will have to try.

I sort of followed this process

http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=54

But I did not use a Q-tip I just pulled the flower and took it over to the other to cross the pollen.

White Habanero X Ghost. Since they are outside once I crossed pollinated I put tiny plastic over the bud and used a twist tie for 24 hrs to make sure it was pollinated from the Habanero pollen. I crossed three on the Ghost and two on the habanero. Out of the 5 attempts one Habanero X Ghost is now a pod. I hope that the seeds grow White Ghost peppers we will see.

The method looks easy but I had knocked off a few flowers while trimming the flowers.

Here is a pic of the young pod with a red twist tie for a marker.

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Ghost pepper?

Wow, hopefuly it works and if so is be willing to trade for some of those seeds. Although, would they really be viable? Interesting none the less, can't wait until it's ripe!

o

They are both c. chinense so cross should be viable. I will not know how the cross went until I plant the seeds from the crossed pod. I will know at the end of the 2014 season. I think color trait may be one of the hardest to get across the gene pool?

Sure I would be up for a SASBE or trade.

Mark

o

I have 3 plants from seed I got last year for White Bhut , White 7 Pot and White T.Scorpion.
Wonder what I'll get....
I have no idea if they are Hybrids - F?.

o

Wow interesting Smoke, do your plants have pods yet? I would be interested to know if any pods grow true.

Mark

o

The White Bhut is not a mutation, it is a hybrid.

Josh

o

Hey Josh, do you know of have you seen the white Bhut? Seems as its name represents its a ghost lol. I have not seen any posts or pics that represent the elusive white Bhut. Do you know of any link or place to get seeds?

Mark

o

• Posted by tony469 modesto zone 9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 22:06

http://pepperlover.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=157&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4&vmcchk=1&Itemid=4

o

Mark, I am growing white bhuts this year from seeds Judy at pepperlover.com sent me free with my order. not something I would have bought, colors don't impress me much other than the chocolates I like them, but it was really cool of her. so I will let you know soon. they are just starting to set pods now. i'll have plenty of seeds for everyone this fall, I have 15 - 20 of them growing.

o

Hey, Mark, yeah on facebook Jim Duffy posts pics of Orange and White Bhuts, and I asked if they were hybrids, which he confirmed. Here's a video of a pod review...not an endorsement or advertisement on my part, just sharing so that the pepper itself can be seen. Feel free to watch without audio.

White Bhut Jolokia Review

Josh

o

I am also interested in white bhut seed. I can trade other pepper seeds

o

Thanks all for the information and links provided. I looked at them and even watched the video. Looks like its created. I will still grow out my cross and hope for white with the bumpy skin :-)

Mark

o

I have a White Bhut from pepperlover that is podding now. They look interesting. Still a little way till ripening, so hopefully they will end up looking like Casper. I saw a review that claimed they tasted like 7up! Hope mine turn out that way. For the meantime I'm chowing down my white habs like they are candy!

o

Dbuchner awesome pic and by the looks of your pod at least it's true Bhut white. Thanks for posting that and please update us on the taste and heat.

Mark

o

Mark several people are growing them but none I have seen have the pimply surface. Not nearly as much heat or flavor from what i have heard. The pic dbuchner posted is pretty spot on to the others I have seen. My Not white bhuts look just like those but they went red :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here