Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peps22

when do cayenne's turn red?

peps22
15 years ago

I have like 40-50 long red slim peppers growing, they seem to be of terminal size, however, they are all still dark green. When do they turn red?

Comments (5)

• eaglejohn1
    15 years ago

depends on the weather and zone. The hotter it is the quicker they will fully ripen.
    john

• peps22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Its been a heat wave in new england for the past 3 weeks, upper 80s to upper 90s. Doesnt seem to be too cold here.

• jimster
    15 years ago

"upper 80s to upper 90s" And more on the way.

Looking at several gardens, I haven't seen any ripe peppers yet. Patience.

Jim

• chaman
    15 years ago

Heat and the amount of moisture in the air contribute in ripening the peppers.Hotter days and dry weather will help matured peppers to change color from green to red.If your plants have grown thru maturity date (as mentioned on the seed packet) reduce feeding water.If there is a red pepper on the plant cut slit on it.This will release ethyle that will help ripening of the rest of the peppers on the plant.If this is not possible then buy red ripe pepper from the market, slit it and place near the plant.

• ardnek710
    15 years ago

the first pods always seem to take the longest to ripen, after it happens, you will find the rest ripen much quicker.

The plant knows the end of the season is coming up soon and its genetic directive is to produce viable seed. So don't worry, the cayennes will turn red when they are ready and you don't have to do anything to speed it up.

kendra

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz