Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone start new plants this time of year?

Posted by andyandy 6bMI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 12:02

With cool summers up here the past two years I've resigned myself to the fact that without using artificail light and keping my house at 75 all winter growing super hots is a two year proposition. I have a couple of yellow ghosts I started last fall that are just now putting out their first flowers. I bought some ghosts from a market a few weeks ago and planted some seads. They all came up at once last weekend. I picked two and discarded the rest. There should be enough summer left that get established by fall and can produce next summer. Anyone else start anything in the middle of summer? I planted some serrano seeds this weekend to.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone start new plants this time of year?

I have 2 reapers about 2" tall now and have avenir, starfish, thai bird and Brazilian rainbow germinating in wet paper towls now. I'm probably crazy for starting them now but I guess I'll just have to see how well they do.
Good luck with yours.
Randal

o

Randal-
Good luck to you too. I'll just bring them in for the winter and set them in a window. then bring them out next spring.

o

The past two years I've started Nagas indoors in July under shop lights and kept them in the basement. Had to hand pollinate them but got them to ripen peppers between December and February, then cleared out the space to start my summer bedding plants.

This year I kept the best Naga, moving it to a basement windowsill from mid-February until I could harden it up in late May and plant it outdoors. I don't think I'm going to get it to produce peppers outside though -- it is flowering and looking healthy now, but it has no peppers forming yet and nights are going to start getting chilly here in another month.

Anyway, I've posted this pic several times before in other threads, but I'll do it here again -- this is indoor Naga in a 6" pot, started last July, photo taken mid-February 2014:
 photo Feb114Naga4.jpg

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 14:22

Don, that is a fake plant. No way is it real. Just too beautiful looking. Looks like a Christmas plant. The green and red is just awesome. I do think I remember that picture from before.
Photobucket
Bruce

o

Looks good, Some day I'll have red peppers. I justr have to remeber thre Carly Simon song "Anticipation" "it's making me wait"!

o

I have some seedlings that sprouted late in pots, but I am not sure they will make it to pods. They may be used for over winters.

o

Bruce, that plant was grown from seeds I got from you a few years back!

This post was edited by don555 on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 15:21

o

We have a long season and I'm willing to turn the laundry room into a nursery for the winter if I need to so I'm starting more Padrons (we just can't get enough of them,) as well as the Peter peppers I never got started this Spring, Jimmy Nardellos if I can find some seeds and I'm on the lookout for Aleppo. I'll probably do more of some of the things we already have, too.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 16:32

Awwwweeee, one of my babies. hahaha
Bruce

o

Last week, put a Hungarian pumpkin pepper out to harden off.
We have a long season in Cali.

Stoney

o

I remember seeing that picture and all the jealous feelings that came with it lol. Beautiful plant!
Randal

o

BEAUTIFUL PLANT Don!

In answer to your OP I was looking at Hirt's Garden plants with an eye to overwinter... Then I read the reviews at The River. I'll pass!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hirt's Garden River Review

o

Don't have to go to The River, just read the reviews on Amazon. All the 5 star reviews were written before the plants fruited. All the 1 star reviews were written by people who know what a BJ is supposed to look like.

Dennis

o

Gotta a link to those reviews Dennis?

o

I start new seeds all during the year, but I have a greenhouse to grow all the largest plants in and artificial light to start the small plants inside.
I just started more reaper seeds, but these are the new generation, so they are the IR2s. I also just planted some Jay's peach ghost scorpions. I just started a few 7 pod lava seeds just to play with for myself. In another month or so I'll be starting some Datils, even more reapers, and a bunch of 7 of primos, since they are hotter than the reapers, and lots of people are just wanting the hottest there is.

o

Yeah, it's the link after your post. The one that takes you to Amazon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here