Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Flea Beetle Killer

Posted by jcav8ter 7b - Atlanta (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 23, 11 at 12:20

Flea beetles are having a feast on my peppers. I know there are several pesticides that will work, but was wondering if anyone else has used something that worked well on these guys.

Thanks,

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Flea Beetle Killer

I actually had a dish with beer in it for the intent of catching slugs and snails. A nice surprise was that I was catching even more flea beetles in the mix. These were beetles earlier in the season for me, but it's worth a try.

o

Thanks, will add that to the pesticides.

John

o

I'd go with pyrethrin, because it is natural, and completely safe to use on veggies. The biggest issue one might encounter with pyrethrin is allergies and/or athsma. I have read that sticky traps work too. Diatomaceous earth powder is another thing that will work. Dust it on and around the plants.

Personally, I don't have any ideals that go against using pesticides, although I like to try not to use anything harsh. But, I also don't bother trying to screw around with less effective "safer" measures either, because I find that they just aren't as effective, and they take a lot of persistance. I prefer to just deal with the problem immediately, and not have my food crops suffer. So, if it was me with an infestation, I would douse them with something sooner then later.

Joe

o

I've had very good luck with diatomaceous earth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here