Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Serrano chili didn't produce any flowers or fruit

Posted by Humanityneedspeace none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 12:23

I planted 4 Serrano chilis. One plant is 5ft tall and about 3ft wide two more are 3ft tall and about 1ft wide. None of these plants have produced any flowers, or fruit, but looks as if they are going to seed. The little one which is about 1ft tall has just started to flower. I am clueless as to why the larger plants didn't flower, and just went right to seed. Any help would be awesome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Serrano chili didn't produce any flowers or fruit

Can you post a pic, also seed are in the fruit so not sure what you mean went straight to seed? You may be seeing flower buds is my guess on the larger. Are you growing In ground or in pots?

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 14:00

I think Habajolokia is thinking the same thing I am. It sure sounds like we are growing something other that a pepper plant. A picture will probably be what is needed to make a determination.
Bruce

PS: Humanityneedspeace: Where did you get the starter plants/seeds?

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 15:18

how can a pepper plant "go to seed" with a pepper?

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 16:57

They can't. It is pretty clear he is growing something other than a pepper or possibly his use of the phrase "going to seed" isn't used in the way that it normally is.

I think a couple good photos would help clear this up.
Bruce

o

Sorry, this is my first attempt at a garden. here are some pics of the chile plants. They are in the ground not pots.

o

this is the full plant

o

The tall one does not look to be a pepper the small one to the right does look like one. We're they all sold as pepper plants or seeds?

o

Tall one is a weed. Yank it before it goes to seed.

o

the one on the right is a ghost chile plant, and the one was supposed to be a chile. I'll post a pic of the seed package that I planted the seed from. The ghost chile on the right is producing flowers, but the flowers are just falling off, and not producing either.. I'm so not a gardener. Thank you all for the help.

o

FYI I planted the seed in a seed pod. It grew in doors till it was about ten inches tall then i planted it in the ground. and that five foot thing is what it grew into.

o

It's possible that some foregin seed got mixed in with a manufacture seed packet. I think Jean001a is on the right track it does look like a smartweed variety you can Google image it.

Did you plant more than one Serrano? And they look different from the tall one. Also could you post a close up of the Ghost? The heat is probably causing the flower drop, how much sun does it get?

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 23:14

The seeds for the Serrano should have looked nearly identical to the Ghost Pepper seeds. Most pepper seeds look almost identical. But I know that plant is not a pepper plant of any sort. I would also pull it. Don't get down on yourself about it. We all make mistakes and likely that was not your mistake but the seed company's mistake. It looks like what you do grow is in great shape. So just start over this year or give it another go next season.
Bruce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here