New Mexico 6-4L, the heartbreak pepper

Posted by DFW_Gardener 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 12:49

The scourge of blossom end rot.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Mexico 6-4L, the heartbreak pepper

Man, that sucks! I would be heartbroken as well!

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 14:40

Yah, those looked like they were gonna be some nice peppers.
Bruce

o

Why dont you call or bring some of your soil to your local extension service and see what is going on with your soil? Also show them that video and see if they can help you?

o

I'll do a better job with checking the soil and adding the proper amendments for next season, but the "Big Jim" peppers right next to the 6-4L didn't have nearly as bad an issue.

I think that if you can get your soil and watering perfect, these 6-4L plants would give bonanza harvests.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

o

Nice video, but that is definitely a heartbreak. Hopefully you can figure out what's going on and fix it with time for a new flush of peppers. Five feet tall plants?... wow, my biggest are scarcely one foot -- zone 3 is tough, bah.

o

Bummer. I had a lot of BER on my 6-4 plants last year, but they will grow out of it. The problem is they probably won't set more pods until it cools down. Some cal-mag (or homemade cal-mag) should help. As I understand the problem, BER is caused by a lack of available calcium during pod formation. Plants usually correct themselves, but it is heartbreaking to toss those early pods.

o

Oh, BER is such a bummer. In tomatoes different cultivars are more prone to it than others, just a matter of genetics. Probably it is the same with peppers. My favorite paste tomaotes are very prone to it. Do some reading on BER in the tomato forum, some think it has a lot to do with uneven watering causing stress that brings out BER. Also a soil test would tell you if you are lacking calcium or have something else going on effecting the availability of calcium. Sorry about your peppers.

o

Kind of drifting off topic, but, what is your fav paste tomato, sunnibel?

o

San Marzano, which my Mom grew for years. I grow a sub cultivar called Gigante, and they are! Better flavor for eating as well as sauce, I think. But they were the only ones to show BER in my garden, which turned out to have a slight calcium deficency. I've added lime this year, per the soil test results, and increased my mulching, per advice on the tomatoes forum, so fingers crossed!

o

I have still been trying paste tomatoes. Last year I grew San Marzano Redorta and had a lot of BER. This year I tried Super Marzano Hybrid and am having a lot of BER so far. I do like the tomato when it doesn't have the BER. So, I was just curious. I also have Opalka and don't have as much BER on those, but, don't really like those fresh (great for sauce / canning, though). I finally mulched this past week to try and even out the moisture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here