Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Used wrong soil

Posted by Bill106 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 13:07

Greetings, for some inexplicable reason I transplanted my indoor winter started peppers into my outdoor containers using top soil. Stupid! At any rate it finally dawned on me that this is the reason for my smaller developed plant that will yield poorly. Is there anything I can do at this late stage to perhaps increase size and yield or do I just chalk this up to experience? All 16 plants have fruit but nowhere near the numbers.Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Used wrong soil

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 17:12

Looks like you are in a northern area with short growing season. If you transplant now, you will likely find that your plants will suffer transplant shock and go into a dormancy period. After that, the new soil will likely be beneficial, but the net gain might not be enough to just deal with the current potting medium for the rest of the season. If your plants are looking that they won't produce much the way they are, it can't really hurt to try to transplant them.
Do you have some photos to post showing your plants right now?

o

Bill,

You can pull your plants out of the pots and wash off the roots, then put into new soil. So long as there isn't too much foliage the plant will accept that treatment and come back.

But as above, this might not be the right time to do it. Got pics?

Dennis

o

Here's a few shots, thanks for the replies

o

o

o

o

Like Bruce said, in your zone, I'd say no. But after you showed the pics, I'd say definitely NO. For as big as a faux pas you made, they don't look bad at all. Perhaps you need to try to extend their season a bit somehow this year, and then next year, start your seeds in January like most Northerners do. Just some thoughts.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 2:31

o

Will do and thanks Bruce and Kevin for the info.

o

Agree with Kevin 100%. Besides, If I had soil that purty I would be growing in-ground. ;)

PS Keven mentioned extending the season somehow. Consider overwintering. It would be a perfect time to re-pot (to a smaller container) and grow them inside. If space is a problem you could even go bonsai. Check out the link below. You don't have to go full bonsai in your trimming, and you can easily grow large again with them next year, giving you that head start.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fatalli's Bonsai

This post was edited by mecdave on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 8:42

o

Interesting. Thanks Mecdave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here