Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuvaszlvr

questions about cloning

kuvaszlvr
12 years ago

hello, I have a question concerning propagation. I grow 60+ varieties of hot peppers that I sell (the plants) at the local herb festivals. So far I have always grown from seed, but I have been looking at cuttings this year. It's hard to find much information on it so I was hoping someone here might have some info. I have read that the plants get smaller with each successive cutting. I was curious as to how much smaller (since my plans are to take cuttings from my current crop for overwintering and then late winter take cuttings from them for the shows). Collecting seeds is such a pain, (especially trying to do it in 100+ temps) cuttings sounds much simpler. I also wondered which peppers tend to do best from cuttings. So far, in an experiment, my bhut cuttings are looking great. I grow peppers from anchos through the bhuts. I have read people saying that their plants propagated from cuttings produces sooner and produces just as much as plants started from seed.

My questions:

Do they lose viability with each successive cutting?

Is there a change in fruit production with successive cuttings, and if size is affected, is it obvious?

Which peppers (if there is any real variability) propagate best from cuttings?

I want to produce the best possible plants for my customers, and I'm no stranger to cuttings grown plants, many of my plants and shrubs are from cuttings. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County