Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Serranos - how do they ripen?

Posted by DMForcier 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 13:39

Like jalapenos? Cracks, then color? I don't believe I've ever seen a red serrano.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Serranos - how do they ripen?

I dont know about cracks but definitely color red or orange just like jalapenos. leave them out on your counter, they'll turn in weeks and they dry well too, and you can crush in your hand for some nice red pepper flakes.

o

Yes, they ripen to red. They may or may not have corking.

o

Photobucket

o

Are those drying / shriveling? It's hard to tell with the low resolution / high noise.

o

My serranos definitely turn red quicker than any of the jalapeno's i've grown. I love red jalapenos but the varieties i've grown always take a long time to ripen, too long imho.

Serranos may be corked when they are red, but they don't shrivel that quickly in my experience. Pretty sure the red ones can stay on the plant a week, maybe 10 days, before they begin to shrivel. Results may depend on serrano variant and climate though.

o

Must be your momnitor.

Chiles are ripening/drying on the plant.

o

ok, thanks. That's what it looks like (they're shriveling / drying). Since the OP was asking about corking, I thought your picture was supposed to be a visual example of that and was confused as to what was going on.

Oh, and my color/brightness corrected, calibrated monitor is fine, thanks.

o

Took some fruits. They cork, all right, but not like jalapenos, where the cracks run vertically down the sides. These crack circumferentially around the base of the stem. At least, I think that is corking - they do look kinda young.

I left a few out on the counter to see whether they color before rotting.

o

I just took this pic today. These are Serrano Del Sol Hybrid chiles. Slight cracking, nice red, beautiful when sliced
These grow larger than typical Serranos and have nice yield. Good heat too. Great in guacamole and salsa!

Here is a link that might be useful: PEPPERMEISTER! Hot pepper gardening, tips, and recipes

o

I was partially wrong about the corking. Some do cork circumferentially, but I had a couple that I didn't take turn a nice bright firehouse red on the plant, and they corked axially like jalapenos. Beautiful peps.

The ones I took earlier and left out on the counter did start to turn red (at least the older ones did) but they also started to get soft.

Nice serrano heat! I sauteed them, then flash-sauteed some cubanelles with (I'm starting to conceptualize cubanelles as weeds they are so productive), and added spaghetti sauce for pasta. Yummy!

When this plant matures it's going to be tough to keep up with it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here