Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmforcier_gw

Serranos - how do they ripen?

DMForcier
11 years ago

Like jalapenos? Cracks, then color? I don't believe I've ever seen a red serrano.

Comments (10)

• Darylltx
    11 years ago

I dont know about cracks but definitely color red or orange just like jalapenos. leave them out on your counter, they'll turn in weeks and they dry well too, and you can crush in your hand for some nice red pepper flakes.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Yes, they ripen to red. They may or may not have corking.

• willardb3
    11 years ago

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Are those drying / shriveling? It's hard to tell with the low resolution / high noise.

• sjetski
    11 years ago

My serranos definitely turn red quicker than any of the jalapeno's i've grown. I love red jalapenos but the varieties i've grown always take a long time to ripen, too long imho.

Serranos may be corked when they are red, but they don't shrivel that quickly in my experience. Pretty sure the red ones can stay on the plant a week, maybe 10 days, before they begin to shrivel. Results may depend on serrano variant and climate though.

• willardb3
    11 years ago

Must be your momnitor.

Chiles are ripening/drying on the plant.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

ok, thanks. That's what it looks like (they're shriveling / drying). Since the OP was asking about corking, I thought your picture was supposed to be a visual example of that and was confused as to what was going on.

Oh, and my color/brightness corrected, calibrated monitor is fine, thanks.

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Took some fruits. They cork, all right, but not like jalapenos, where the cracks run vertically down the sides. These crack circumferentially around the base of the stem. At least, I think that is corking - they do look kinda young.

I left a few out on the counter to see whether they color before rotting.

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

I just took this pic today. These are Serrano Del Sol Hybrid chiles. Slight cracking, nice red, beautiful when sliced
    These grow larger than typical Serranos and have nice yield. Good heat too. Great in guacamole and salsa!

Here is a link that might be useful: PEPPERMEISTER! Hot pepper gardening, tips, and recipes

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was partially wrong about the corking. Some do cork circumferentially, but I had a couple that I didn't take turn a nice bright firehouse red on the plant, and they corked axially like jalapenos. Beautiful peps.

The ones I took earlier and left out on the counter did start to turn red (at least the older ones did) but they also started to get soft.

Nice serrano heat! I sauteed them, then flash-sauteed some cubanelles with (I'm starting to conceptualize cubanelles as weeds they are so productive), and added spaghetti sauce for pasta. Yummy!

When this plant matures it's going to be tough to keep up with it!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!