Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need some heat in my salsa

Posted by growsveges 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 21, 10 at 13:40

Hi,

I need some salsa advice....

I'm trying to increase the heat of my salsa. I use Annies salsa recipe (great - from tomato forum) but it's not hot enough. Yesterdays batch I added 7 green jalapeno's, 1 red cayenne and 1 green cayenne. It seemed hot enough before cooking and canning, but the day after it really mellowed.

I'm just growing the cayennes and jalapenos but I have plenty. My questions are
which are generally hotter, red or green cayennes?
Do you find that peppers lose some heat on cooking - should I double up on the peppers to compensate?

Thanks for your help - I could really use some advice from some experienced pepper people!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need some heat in my salsa

The riper the pepper the more heat. Let them cayenns turn bright red before picking . The jals should show signs of stress on the skin ( lines or stripes where the skin is cracking)for the most heat. I find my peppers loose very little heat when cooking. Sometimes I think it makes them hotter. I would use half peeppers to tomato's. Throw in a few habs if you really want some heat. That's what I do.Good luck? Mo peppers mo better.

o

Sometimes my jalapenos do lose heat during cooking but not always.

o

Do you have access to Serrano peppers? They are a great salsa pepper and a bit hotter than a Cayenne (but not as hot as a standard Hab).

Otherwise, I'd say more red / ripe Cayennes.

o

A little bhut jolokia will kick up the heat!

o

Thanks all for the advice!

I was a little hesitant putting more cayenne's in the salsa only because I haven't used them before. I'll wait for the jal's to turn red and load up on the red cayennes in my batch today.

thanks again

o

I use Annie's salsa recipe too. Add the hot peppers as long as the proportions are the same you can substitue one pepper for another. In my family I have to make mild, medium and hot to suit everyone but I always use Annie's salsa as the starting point.

o

Most food markets have habanero's and fairly inexpensive. Try dicing up one or two of those with yer homegrown jalapeno's and cayennes.

o

I'll second vic01's advice ... the pepper's are interchangeable, but the proportions need to be the same if you are canning the salsa. Tomatoes are more acidic than peppers, and you have to be careful about increasing low acid ingredients, if you want to be sure the recipe is safe for canning.

I use Annie's Salsa recipe too, but I've been using the mild jalapenos, such as Senorita, or Fooled You. It turns out perfect for DH, who can't handle ANY heat, but I too want a hotter version for myself, and to give as gifts to my siblings. This year, I'm growing Beaver Dam, Anaheim, Ancho, TAM, and Mariachi, so I'm hoping to make a batch that is has a bit more heat. Unfortunately, the tomatoes STILL don't have fruit on them, even though they are covered in blooms, so I may not have any salsa at all, unless I buy some tomatoes at the farmer's market!

Bonnie

o

"but I too want a hotter version for myself, and to give as gifts to my siblings. This year, I'm growing Beaver Dam, Anaheim, Ancho, TAM, and Mariachi, so I'm hoping to make a batch that is has a bit more heat."

nice, I too have the Beaver Dam, along with the NuMex varieties to spice things up but yet provide some density and flavor.

Most cayennes as mentioned above growsveges taste better when red.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here