Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flipback23

Did PJ.com send me the wrong seeds........

flipback23
9 years ago

Hey all,
Seeing as this is my first year at growing peppers from seed and prior to joining the forums and knowing who were dependable seed resources forgive for bringing up the name but I bought some seeds from p. joe.com and have spent all these months babying them, but now Im a little concerned. I purchased both reaper and butch t seeds from his site and the butch t look a little off to me. The first pic is my reaper plant with its first pod which to me looks correct. The second and third pics are of what was is suppose to be a butch t plant and it has many pods on it. But Im just not sure it really is a butch t.

Thanks as alway and that would sure suck if I put all this time into expecting one thing and growing another.
Rey...

Comments (16)

• kclost
    9 years ago

Also from pepper joe, what I believe is a true reaper....

• kclost
    9 years ago

Another reaper from pepper joe, same batch of seeds completely different pods. ????? Not sure what it is... 2 out of 9 plants are like this. The other 7 look ok so far.

So YES it is possible PJ sent you the wrong seeds... Cool looking pods though...

This post was edited by kclost on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 14:35

• flipback23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kclost,
    Im glad my reapers seems to be true to form since thats what I really wanted, but sucks not knowing if the butch ts are legit or not. Guess Ill have to wait til they fully mature and ripen to see how they turn out. I hope they are at least some type of super hot. Im sure they are just hate that they may not be the correct one plus if I want to save the seeds lol kinda hard to label it as unkown superhot lol.

• kclost
    9 years ago

Yea, I'm not really bothered by those couple of plants that don't look right (the plants look a little different as well not just the pods), but I would like to know what they are. Maybe they are a cross, so then you have no idea what kind.

• flipback23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

True, like I said label will read unknown superhot if I save some lol. But I did want some buutch t's since I paid 10 bucks for 10 fricking seeds lol.
    Rey...

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I'm not sure that it's a case of the "wrong seeds". More like the reaper isn't stable yet and various other forms can result. So those 2 plants are reapers, but not ones that you want the seeds from.

Dennis

• flipback23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dennis,
    The reapers not my concern it's the plants I thought are suppose to be butch ts in the second and third pics are those unstable still as well?
    Rey

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

Yea, those don't look anything like butch Ts. Butch ts were originally an unstable hybrid, but the worst part of their varied genetics was that some didn't have good tails and some did. That plant looks like a bhut. Scorpions are going to be basically round.
    I see PJ is still selling the reaper seeds with genetics that are not much better than they were a year or so ago. For anyone getting these longer pods that look like bumpy bhuts, I would say separate your very best looking plants with proper pods and breed them for next year's seeds. It only takes a couple of perfect pods to make next year's perfect crop. For me, I only got 20% that had good reaper pods and after just one more generation, only 20% are looking like those longer reaper pods you showed in the picture.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

That's actually a pretty good sort. So why can't PJ do it?

[^rhetorical question^]

• kclost
    9 years ago

Good question Dennis, rhetorical or not. And good information plantsman....

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

I took some pictures today. When the original reaper seeds came out, many of us got all kinds of genetics. I'm going to show the worst looking reaper I got from those seeds, and then the best. This plant puts out pods that are smooth and look like nagas. Keep in mind that just because it doesn't look anything like what a reaper should look like, it still tastes like one and is very hot.

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

Here is my best looking one from those seeds.

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

So, I took the three best plants and bed then together and made the next generation. Now the least reaper looking pods are coming out like this. They do have some tails, but mainly, they are bumpy, which means they are consistently hotter.

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

And here is one of the better ones for this next generation. I will be taking the best 5 plants and making the next improved generation of improved reapers. Before I can choose those, I will probably take the best 15 plants as far as pod shape goes and do individual taste tests on the pods.

• flipback23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info plantsman56. I have 3 butch ts and only the one that I pictured in the first posting has pods on it so far and those are the funky looking ones. You say they may still have to taste but not the look so thats cool ill take that. So if the other two plants form closer to correct looking ones I will save seeds from those to use for the next year right? In order to continue heading toward the correct look.

But lets say like in my original picture above for some reason I get a couple pods from the new flowers that end up looking correct would you save seeds from those pods still or not save any from that specific plant if Im looking to have actual butch t looking pods next year.

I know it may be a stupid question lol but I would like for the peppers to not only taste correct but look correct must be my OCD lmao.

Thanks
    Rey....

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Vision is a strong component of taste. If it looks good, we are biased toward it tasting good. plantsman's first posted reaper pod wouldn't scare anyone. His second pictured pod terrifies me from here, and therefore *must* be tastier and hotter.

Besides, don't we really grow reapers to scare the neighbors?

signed,
    Sum Guy

Sponsored