Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peppernovice

Chimayo

peppernovice
11 years ago

I'm getting ready to harvest my first Chimayo peppers. Do you guys have any advice on how I should prepare this pepper? I've heard a lot about how good they are, so I want to make sure I enjoy it properly.

Comments (15)

• romy6
    11 years ago

I would stuff them with love( cheese), wrap them in bacon, and grill them. But I say that about every pepper of any size:)

Might also make a nice chili relleno? Again with the cheese. I have issues:)

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have the same issue! I love cheese.So would I just cut off the stem,remove the seeds, and fill it with ricotta cheese? Do I bake it? Also, at what temperature and for how long? Thanks.

• romy6
    11 years ago

Yes sir cut it in half,remove the seeds, fill it with cream cheese( or any cheese) ,wrap it in bacon, put a toothpick in it to hole it together, and cook at 400 for about 1/2 hour.

Yeah I said bacon. That got your attention :)

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LMAO....I think bacon gets the attention of any adult male. I'll give it a try. I'm very excited because I've heard so many good things about these peppers. Thanks again for all your help.

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

***** 5 Stars on the recipe. The taste of the Chimayo blends great with the bacon and the cream cheese. I will definitely be making this again soon. I also added a few jalapenos to the mix. Awesome suggestion for Chimayo peppers. Thanks again romy6.

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

You can never really go wrong with bacon. I like to stuff my peppers with italian turkey sausage or chorizo with some fresh herbs, cheese, garlic and spicy things.
    I found a good article with some Chimayo recipes (link below)
    I will tell you that if you pick those Chimayos green and roast them, they will make for some amazing new mexican style chile burgers.
    I put roasted green numex chiles on pizza, eggs, hot dogs. You'll get a totally new flavor when you roast them over a flame or use the broiler.

Here is a link that might be useful: NuMex Chimayo Recipes

• User
    11 years ago

Great looking pods peppernovice, nice job!

Like romy6 & you, I too have cheese and bacon issues.

I've used the Chimayo a number of ways ranging from the way you did yours to drying and powdering to to make sauces. By far, roasting and skinning them to make Rellenos is my favorite. If you want the recipe I use send me an email. I can't cite the source so I won't post it.

Interesting site PEPPERMEISTER1, I think I'll try a few recipes. I wonder whether the photo is a stock image or a different variety grown in Chimayo (like there's no one unique Hatch variety).

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

Peppernovice, here's a short article I wrote last fall summer about roasting chiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: PEPPERMEISTER - Roasting Chiles

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll be sending you an e-mail Bill. Peppermeister....thanks for the link. I guess I have some reading to do.

• richiebaker1245
    11 years ago

I've just eaten some orange habs, stuffed with brie, wrapped in bacon and roasted for half hr. quite surprised how it took a lot of the heat out, but retained the flavour- nice!

• pindert
    10 years ago

I have some fresh GREEN Chimayos... Does it matter that they're not red? Would all these ideas still work fine?

I was thinking of stuffing them with a chicken-and-cheese mixture, then wrapping them in bacon. Tonight! Plz let me know if this won't be good with green Chimayos.

Thanks

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Shouldn't be a problem pindert. I've never had them, but they look and sound like a variety of Anaheims; or close relative. They sound like they're thinner skinned though. So, if you roast them, you'll want to be careful not to burn up all the flesh. Most green roasters have thicker flesh than they're red counterparts though.

www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Chimayos-Chile-Culture

Kevin

• John A
    10 years ago

I have some Chimayos & Poblanos ready and was planning to make Rellanos. Baking instead of deep frying sounds like a great idea, and better for my health.
    John A

• Tiarella
    10 years ago

Don't worry about sharing a recipe. Most of a published recipe, like the list of ingredients, can't be copyrighted.

Here is a link that might be useful: US copyright law for recipes

• John A
    10 years ago

I fixed the rellenos last night in the oven. They turned out great tasting although the flour coating didn't stay on very well.
    John A

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals