Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rodnebridges

my tabasco

rodnebridges
10 years ago

This is one I overwintered.

and the stem

I really don't wanna pick any until they turn orange/reddish, but they are so tempting already !!!

what do y'all think ?

Comments (14)

• Calcat36
    10 years ago

Ok, I'll go first. GREAT PLANT! Podding up very well! Planning on keeping it this winter too? Making sauce with them?

PS: I accept excess pods... ;-)

• rodnebridges
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll keep this bad boy alive as long as I can !! I'll probably have to repot it next year though !! Hey send me a email Calcat36 and I'll send you a few pods once they are ripe !!! Gotta pay it forward right !!???

• Calcat36
    10 years ago

That's the ticket! I'll get an email to you. What other peppers are you interested in growing?

• don555
    10 years ago

That's a great plant! Don't pick until they are fully ripe... I grew one indoors a few years ago and the green pods were dry, mealy, and nasty tasting (but hot at least), but the red ripe pods were juicy and tasty (and very hot, much hotter than I was expecting).

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Are you sure that's not a tree? Amazing "trunk" on that plant. It looks like you're going to have high yields also. Beautiful plant!

Tim

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

I agree with don, wait! I overwintered one this year too, funny thing, not only is it covered in fruit but the two I planted this year are also covered. Last year I didn't get any fruit before it got cold so I moved it into the greenhouse, I didn't let the fruit get fully ripe, sauce tasted awful, a lot like the store brand. When I let them get really red and ripe they tend to produce a much sweeter more flavorful sauce, so definitely WAIT! :-)
    Pam

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Fantastic!
    Tabasco has never done well for me...but the ripe pods are so juicy and uniquely flavored that I've tried many times. Hot, indeed.

Josh

• rodnebridges
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep they are small but each one is like eating a little bite of fire !!I have to admit my success this year is due to extremely favorable temps and plenty of rain. This plant managed to survive last year's insane temps and is paying me dividends for my extreme loving care last summer and over the winter . The ol 9-12-12 isn't hurting either.

• gfinnil
    10 years ago

I would LOVE to try tabasco next year, looks amazing
    Jerry

This post was edited by gfinnil on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 20:36

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Can't help but brag, this is one of my tabasco plants.
    Pam

• gfinnil
    10 years ago

Pam you're KILLING me...lol, but this looks like a MUST grow for me once I find a good seed source...thanks for the great pic :)
    Jerry

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Send me an email with your address Jerry, I have a bunch of seeds, I can easily spare a few.
    Pam

• rodnebridges
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gfinnil, I was away for a couple of days, if you want some of my seeds , let me know as well. no charge. provide e an addy !!

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Rod.. and Pam - both your plants look great I thought my 4 month old Tabasco with it's 3 dozen or so pods was doing great - shoot I'm going to have to have a talk with it and tell it to kick it into gear.... or else.
    Sandy.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville