Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jalapeno Yield per plant?

Posted by ssj4 z7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 23, 06 at 13:57

I was trying to figure out how many peppers to expect per plant for jalapenos. I currently have 1 jalapeno, and two mucho nachos.

according to this website: http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/profile_jalapeno.html

the jalapeno will yield about 25 to 35 pods per plant. This can't be right, can it? I had a potted plant last year that gave up about 20 or so, my plant in a raised bed this year has already put out 25, with more than 25 still on the plant, and with 2 to 3 months left in the season.

The Nacho's are in pots, so I really don't expect a bumper crop from them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jalapeno Yield per plant?

I have four jalapenos and your harvest sounds about right. I planted transplants may 5th and have been harvesting peppers for about ten days from my plants Prolly pulled twenty from the four and got 6 more last night. They are full of peppers and still have some flowers. I pick peppers when they are about 3-4" long and will have the same amount till froast.

o

Yeah, I would agree with you. If memory serves, last year I must have pulled 100 (give or take) jalapenos off one of my plants throughout spring, summer and fall. The article must mean that a jalapeno plant will probably have 25-35 pods at a time which sounds about right for a fully grown plant. Heck, I remember one day late in October where I must have got 30-35 pods from one plant.

o

• Posted by ssj4 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 19:23

or perhaps they mean the yield if all of the pods were left to ripen.

Thanks for the input folks!

o

The more you pick the more a plant will flower. You can get up to a 100 per plant as long as your season like you. Chile plants if condition are right keep growing. Growing in zone 5 for 35 years.
bowhunter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here