Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rodnebridges

my first ghost

rodnebridges
10 years ago

Well the first lesson I learned was green ghosts are weak as Kool-Aid. I've been growing this plant since early February and got so excited once I saw the first green pods I couldn't help but try one. Needless to say I was really disappointed. I'll wait til they redden up. Anyhow, the main thrust of this post is to ask if this looks like a normal sized Ghost to you ? Looks kinda tiny to me .

Comments (14)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

First pods are often smaller.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

LOL... yep. heat is "normally" nonexistent...normally.

Sometimes, I'll see a dropped green pod and just eat it right then and there, no prob. But last week I did that, and I spent the next 20 mins recovering -- THIS green pod had most of the heat of a ripe one.

Note to self-- no more green pods in the garden when they're over an inch.

Kevin

• rodnebridges
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay good to know. I later got a bit worried that I got fake or genetically poor seeds. I guess the lesson here is patience. Thank you.

• snarg
    10 years ago

You might want to try and find whatever is snacking on your leaves though.

• rodnebridges
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I panicked , it's much bigger now, just waiting for it to get ripe now !!

• rodnebridges
    Original Author
    10 years ago

woot woot woot !! Just starting to turn red !! I couldn't resist and just ate another of the green ones that have been on the plant for a few weeks now . Wow !!! if this what a maturer green one tastes like, I can't wait for a nice red one !!!! Eyes watering ... I' i heat heaven !! :)

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Don't neglect the flavor of the flesh when you snack on the ripe pod by getting distracted waiting for the heat to kill your tongue. BJs are very tasty little fellows. I won't bias you by describing the flavor. Please report what you taste.

Dennis

• rodnebridges
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How much longer does a brother have to wait !!!

These guys are looking good and waiting in the wings !!

How do they look guys !?

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I have some bhuts that have been on the plant a good month now, with no signs of color, other than green. I know it takes a while, but how long are we talking about?

• rodnebridges
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yeah man, these guys have been on the plant for about a month or so. Only now are they starting to ripen. Results may vary though. I gave some of my solo cup sprouts to a friend of mine and he already has ripe ones !! As I recently discovered, patience is the name of the game with the super hots ! I think you will have some results soon.

10 years ago

Yep. Patience. You have nothing to worry about where you're at judo.

LOL...Here's the thing-- once you start seeing color, they'll turn to an orange relatively quickly. But then you have to wait about another month for final color.

But, here's the good part... you'll get a pod here and there for a while and then, all of a sudden, they'll be coming out of your ears. Bowlfuls of red ripe pods.

You like habaneros... they do the same thing. They just get on with it a bit quicker.

It's only my second year of growing anything hotter than an hab. But, it seems like that with ALL peppers... even bells. You wait, and then wait some more and then more and then all of a sudden, you got so many you don't know what you're going do with them all.

Kevin

• rodnebridges
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe I can eat i tomorrow ! I was so happy today when I got home today !!! It's redness jumped right out at me !!! Lookee here !!!

Sunday at the latest I think ! What say Y'all !?

10 years ago

Nope. If you want the true flavor, about a month. The way it is right now will have plenty of HEAT. But I look at superhots as having 3 stages of ripening...

1) that really long time of green
    2) that pretty long stage of intermediate coloring (orange, pink, and I'm sure other colors with peppers whose final color isn't red.
    3) the red stage -- pretty quick, but imo and experience, the longer you leave on, the more sugars delvelop and the fruitier and less medicinal it gets

But get more opinions, this is only my 2nd year with supers and my tasting is limited -- naga, ghost and real soon 7 pot.

Kevin

• rodnebridges
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As many of you many have surmised, patience is not my strong suit, to say the least. However I did manage to hold out long enough for this guy to get good and ripe !!

I'm eating it on a pizza right now and it was well worth the wait !!

This post was edited by rodnebridges on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 20:36

Sponsored