Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amerique2

Definitely not Spanish Marconi--can you ID?

amerique2
10 years ago

I bought the plant labeled "Spanish Marconi" at a plant sale this spring. Know it is definitely not that sweet pepper but wondered if you can tell me what it might be. I'm excited because I've always wanted to try a smoky hot pepper. Could it be Jamaican Hot Chocolate pepper? It's a little over an inch long. Thanks.

Comments (9)

• amerique2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Checked the tag again--it was labeled Spanish Mammoth. Still not that one either.

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

I have no idea. I can find no reference to a Spanish Marconi. The variety Pardon has the shape of your pepper and is advertised as a unique Spanish variety. Said to be a warm to hot pepper. Hot when ripe. On the other hand it could be a Chocolate habernero. A taste should be enought to tell.

• tony469
    10 years ago

Looks like a chocolate habanero ..is it hot?

• amerique2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh, yes, Tony. Very hot! My tongue is still burning from a taste a couple of hours ago.

• tony469
    10 years ago

Yeah the redish brown color looks like a jamiacan hot chocolate..douglahs and 7 pot browns look more yellowish...habs have that cutting your tongue off kind of pain..but when dry and ground to a powder they make an awesome jerk seasoning..save the seeds they may be worth regrowing .

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I agree with chocolate Habs, here is a pic of mine from last season to compare.

Mark

• amerique2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! Hey Farmerdill, just googled "Spanish Mammoth" pepper and looked at all the images. All looked a certain way except one looked just like mine. Ha ha--it was mine, the one I posted. Hope it doesn't confuse anyone. Anyway the rest looked like these posted below and are described as a long, sweet tapering pepper. Definitely not what I'm growing.

Mark, my peppers look like yours in color and general shape, maybe just a little smoother. But these 2 peppers are the first on the plant. Will continue to watch.

Funny that at this plant sale at our Memphis Botanic Garden the only hot peppers grown by the garden volunteers and offered for sale there were Habanero, Jalapeno, and Ghost peppers. I bought all 3 plus these sweet peppers: Marconi, Spanish Mammoth, Quadrato d'asti Giallo, California Wonder. Can't figure out how to post 2 pics in the same post so I'll post a pic of my ghost pic in a following post.

So, are the jamaican hot chocolate and chocolate habs similar in taste and appearance? I've grown habanero, peruvian lemon, jalapeno and some ornamental peppers in the past but always wanted to experiment and in addition grow some unusual hot peppers including Mirasol and Fatali. Bought some Fatali seeds last month but thought it was probably too late to start them this year. I love the citrus and hot combination!

Anyway, Tony, I will definitely save the seeds and try to grow it next year. That jerk seasoning sounds awesome. Think I've found a great forum to learn all about these wonderful peppers-how to grow, how to save seed, and how to cook with them. Many thanks!

Glenn (I'm a gal--don't let my name fool you)

This post was edited by amerique2 on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 21:33

• amerique2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's what is on the tag from the pepper pictured below. "Capsicum hyb. 'Bhut Jolokia'--Ghost Pepper, Hot Pepper, Hottest pepper in the world!"

Sure hoping that's what I have!

Have a little phlox straying into the peppers to cool them off.

• MadCat1118
    10 years ago

I've never grown a ghost pepper, but it sure looks like one to me.