Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pepperoncini

Posted by Ben_950 5b West MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 05 at 14:19

What variety of pepper is used to make perperoncini? And does anyone have a recipe?

Ben

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pepperoncini

That is the variety. Ask in the Harvest forum for recipes.

o

Ok. Thanks.

o

By the way. I bought some peppers that were mislabeled back in spring and I believe what I have are pepperoncinis:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

-Todd

o

Actually Todd, those look like Anaheims to me. The Pepperoncinis I've seen are much more curled & indented.

o

Great! Thanks for the info.

o

I always thought pepperoncinis were really little. Maybe they just harvest them early for those pickles in salads?

I wanted to grow some this year, but I couldn't find any. I really like those darn pickles they have in salads.

o

This is one of the few cases where it may be cheaper and much much easier to just purchase a jar of them in the store. The time and effort you put into growing them (not to mention the cost of fertilizer etc), then picking and pickling them outweighs the couple bucks it costs to buy a huge jar of them. Normally, growing vegetables is cheaper than purchasing fresh ones in the stores becasue fresh veggies require careful storage and transportation. Pickled vegies and canned veggies are cheap because the storage cost is so low, and the storage time is aeons.

In my opinion, if you're just going to preserve them, what's the use of having fresh-from-the-garden peppers to start with?

o

It's not really about cost or ease, but rather making something yourself and having fun doing it.

Ben

o

You can also buy a hybrid pepperoncini called "robustini" which are also quite good. You can pickle them like any other hot pepper.

o

Ben_950,

Did you find a recipe for these peppers? I have 4 plants and I am thinking of canning a few.

Also did you ever identify that tomato of yours a couple of years ago?

Dean

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here