Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomt226

Lemon Drop Uses

tomt226
9 years ago

I've got so many, that I've been experimenting.
Spicy Pesto:
Buzz up a cup of EVOO and a dozen Lemon Drops and keep that handy. When you make Pesto, substitute some of the EVOO you use to emulsify the mixture with some of the Lemon Drop oil. Really gives a boost and a kick.
Spicy Tzaziki Sauce. Buzz up some Lemon Drops with some fresh lemon juice and add a couple of tablespoons to your Tzaziki sauce. I make mine with yogurt, shredded cuke, fresh dill, and lemon juice. Rocks.
Lemon Drop vinaigrette: Use the lemon or the oil mixture in making vinaigrettes. A fresh tomato vinaigrette with the Lemon Drop oil is great....

Comments (16)

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Living in the Bawstan area of NE all my life I've made Lawbsta Bisque for many years. Below link is very close to my recipe with two exceptions, I don't use carrots and I substitute Lemon Drops/Aji Limon for the black pepper. In this size recipe I use 10-15 finely chopped added at same point recipe adds black pepper.

Enjoy!

I have a recipe that uses chicken stock instead of creating your own from scratch and lobster meat from your super market cutting waaayyy back on cooking/prep time, I'll look for it & post if I find it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lobster Bisque via Bobby Flay/Food Network

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 16:57

• tomt226
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds like a winner. I'll look for it.
    Started drying Lemon Drops yesterday, and they take more drying than Thais or halved habaneros. Gotta put'em back in the dehydrator this morning for another few hours.
    Bawstan. LMAO...

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

I'm so jealous.. my lemon drops haven't changed color yet... luckily my plant is covered in them... I'm just anxiously waiting for them to turn (check them daily)... one is turning... I'm going to make lemon drop sauce, found on the internet awhile back.

pam

• tomt226
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gee, it'd be NICE to know what "Lemon Drop Sauce" you're talking about...;-)

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

I think I posted it under another subject, or maybe the link (I'd look but my internet is up and down- last 2 months, very flaky, so I'll just copy it here and hope when I hit send I don't loose my connection).

Lemon Drop Hot Sauce
    Ingredients
    1 ounce dried lemon drop chile peppers (about 1 1/2 cups), stems and seeds removed
    1 teaspoon coriander seeds
    1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
    4 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/4 cup fruity extra virgin olive oil
    Honey, to taste
    Salt, to taste
    Procedures
    In a skillet over medium heat, toast chiles, coriander, and cumin until just fragrant, about 10 seconds. Remove from heat and transfer to blender along with garlic, vinegar, and olive oil. Blend until very smooth, scraping down sides of blender as needed, for 3-5 minutes.
    Pour hot sauce through a fine-meshed strainer into a bowl. With a rubber spatula, push sauce through strainer to separate all liquid from chunks of pepper and spices. Add honey and salt to taste, starting with about 1/4 teaspoon, then transfer to a very clean bottle or jar. Store sauce in refrigerator, where it keeps well.

• toolstack
    9 years ago

Are lemon drops and aji lemon the same?

• tomt226
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the recipe. I'll try it with some fresh ones first, and use Bitter Orange instead of vinegar. I'll tell you how it comes out...

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

hahahaha toolstack, that's an ongoing discussion. I will soon see if the Aji Limons that I got are the same as my old lemon drops (I got my seeds from a different source this year). I think Josh.... isn't it Josh?? is supposed to give us a comparison sometime this season.

Definitely let us know Tom how it comes out.
    Pam

• tomt226
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pam,
    OK, decided to follow the recipe as closely as possible for the first batch, with these additions/changes:
    Used 2-1/2 cups of fresh Drops, the largest cut in half.
    5 cloves of garlic.
    1/2 teaspoon of table salt
    1/2 teaspoon of turmeric (for color)
    Since the Drops are fresh, I roasted the cumin and coriander seeds as per recipe, but when finished, I popped them into the spice grinder for ten seconds.
    Here's a pic of everything in the blender jar:

• tomt226
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pam,
    Processed for four minutes (my blender shuts down after two so I have to use a timer), and didn't have to scrape down the sides.
    The turmeric really improves the color.
    Next time, I think I'll use Xanthan gum (1/4 teaspoon to two tablespoons of cold water, process for 30 seconds) instead of EVOO for an emulsifier. EVOO tends to clot up in the fridge but not the gum. I use it a lot in other salsas to prevent separation of ingredients.
    OK, so I forced it through a medium mesh strainer, and got about 1/3 cup of leavings, so it came out producing 1-2/3 cup of sauce, medium thick at room temp. I checked it this morning, and it was slightly thicker, but not much.
    The finished processing pic.

• tomt226
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pam,
    Put it in an empty white wine vinegar bottle. Right out of the blender, it seemed to not be real spicy, about like Tabasco or Sontava, with a good citrusy, unique flavor. It reminds me of the yellow Piri-piri I made with Drops and lemon juice recently. The apple cider vinegar is sweet enough that I didn't need any honey. I may do the next batch with straight lemon juice and a little more cumin:
    Piri-piri is just two cups of dried Thai Hots, 1/2 cup of EVOO and 1/2 cup of lemon juice, a tablespoon of paprika, and 1/2 tablespoon of table salt. Gotta let the dried peppers soak after the first processing to get them to incorporate more smoothly. I use it as a marinade on chicken and fish. This would work well too.
    Thanks for the recipe:

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Looks really good Tom. I can't wait to try making it. I have 5 aji limons that are yellow now (well, 4, I ate one last night). I don't think they have quite as strong citrus flavor as my lemon drops... but, I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I had them. Only thing I'd do different, I never strain my sauces... and I don't blend smooth, I like to have pieces of pepper in them... means you have to shake them up before use, but I think it's worth it.

I also won't be using dried peppers. I have wondered about one thing in the recipe... "fruity" olive oil.... what's that?

Pam

• seysonn
    9 years ago

My Aji Lemon Drop (one plant) is just setting fruits. So I dream of Aji LD. hahaha

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Pam wrote, " I have wondered about one thing in the recipe... "fruity" olive oil.... what's that?".

See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet & Fruity Extra Virgin Olive Oil

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Thanks... never seen that before.
    Pam

• tomt226
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After using the salsa on breakfast tacos and some pizza at lunch, I don't like the apple cider vinegar. I'll use Bitter Orange or lemon juice in the future, Vinegar sucks, IMHO.
    Fruity EVOO is just a damn advertising ploy. First press is the best.
    The straining removes a lot of skin/seeds and makes a smoother salsa. I don't strain my Ghostanero salsa which has garlic, onions, and carrots all roasted together. I don't strain my Piri-piri either. I was just trying to follow the directions as closely as possible.
    I got all those Drops off of one plant. Got'em out the ying-yang, and I know why they're called "drops," cause they drop on the ground when they're ripe...

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors