Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcefx

What's happening to my Moruga Scorpions chili?

marcefx
10 years ago

Hi there!

My plant looked healthy, but this after leaving it on the sun this morning I found it like you can see in the picture. A couple leaves are dying, but still some life on the plant.

I don't water it often and it gets around 4 hours of direct sun light (around 95 F) and 8 hours of light (not direct). I just transplanted it to a bigger pot. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments (20)

• romy6
    10 years ago

Looks like it was not completely hardened off. You burned it pretty bad.

• tony469
    10 years ago

Young plants are tender and just being transplanted it may need filtered light ..4hours at 95 degrees might be a bit much until it roots up better..you need to harden it off..or slowly adapt it

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

To much sun and heat way to soon. That plant is really to young for that environment right now. How long has it been in these conditions and how old it the seedling?

I would give it full shade (no direct sun) for a few days at least or think about bringing it back inside for a few days.

Bill

• marcefx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I was mistaken :-/ The seedling is a month old and the plant has been in these conditions for 6 days. I'm gogn to give it some shade and see how it goes.

This post was edited by marcefx on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 6:23

• marcefx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

By the way, I was using a small pot, could that also be the reason? After seeing the damage, I moved it to a 20 cm diameter pot.

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

Pot size right now would not be a factor. It is the conditions you had it in. A good hardening off takes 5-7 days IMO. Give it some shade and minimal sun for a few days and alittle watering and I think you will be okay.

Bill

• marcefx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Bill. That's what I'm doing right now. But... thing is the plant was exposed to sun for 6 days and it went well. I guess that day was hotter than usual, since it's summer here and temperatures go real high fast.

• marcefx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A little update... I think my chili plants are going to die. This is how they look right now:

They are around 3 months old. Any ideas? Thanks!

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

They don't look moribund, but I don't like the color (might be the photo, though). What dirt are they in? What have you been doing about fertilizing? When you transplanted, what did the roots look like?

BTW, are you sure those are Scorpions? The don't look much like mine did at that stage. Where did you get them?

Dennis

• marcefx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. The color is worse right now, really pale. I'm using a good compost, recommended at my gardening shop. Also, I used a little fertilizer a week before this photo.

The roots look good when I transplanted. About the Scorpions, I forgot to mention that the plant in the middle is a regular red pepper. I bought the Moruga seed from a seller in eBay with good feedback.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

not to say this is the case, but the problem with ebay feedback is that you can only leave feedback within a month or so of purchase, which is not nearly long enough to judge if the seeds you got were labeled correctly.

• marcefx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're totally right, although the seller looked legit. Any advice on where to buy quality Moruga/Bhut Jolokia seeds at a good price? Thank you!

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

there are plenty of people on here who will send them to you for free for a SASE. I'd send you some, but I'm not growing morugas. I do have lots of bhut seeds though. send me an email, I'm sure we can come up with a solution.

• marcefx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Email sent! Thanks for being so kind. BTW, my red chilis also started to look that pale and with little brown areas on their leaves. I'm guessing is because of amount of fertilizer I used :-/

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I got your email, but your address is blocked. if you would care to unblock your address, or email me again and include your address we can figure something out.

however since you're in spain, it will be much more difficult. the price of shipping for me to send them may exceed the price of finding them for sale somewhere closer to you, or finding another forum member in europe. if you can't do either of the above, I have no problem sending them.

• marcefx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I understand. Let me find out whether I can get them somewhere closer to me :-) Thanks for the help

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

If the soil has a high amount of un-rotted organic matter, the rotting of the un-rotted organic matter can suck all the available nitrogen out of the soil.

OR "compost" that contains a lot of "unprocessed" waste (as that what falls out of the back end of a cow) might be presenting too much nitrogen et al to the little rooties.

I'd transplant into a known good soil, like a commercial mix.

Dennis

• marcefx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your comments. Here's how my chilis look now:

I'm afraid I planted it them really late, since summer is gone and temperature goes down quickly...

This post was edited by marcefx on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 6:02

• seysonn
    10 years ago

They look fine now.
    I was also thinking that the lack of nutrients(especially Nitrogen) was the reason for yellow pale color. And as it was pointed out chunky, partially composted mater can absorb the nutrient an then will release them later on as they get fully composted. This feaure is consider as a plus(+) in moderate amounts as ait regulates nutriens to the plants. But with the young plants, when the fertilizers is supplied in low amounts, then they end up gettinh NOTHING much.

Now I see another problem: THAT CONTAINER MIGHT BE A BIT TOO SMALL FOR 4 PLANTS. They don't seem to have enough head room.

• marcefx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I'm moving one of the plants out ASAP.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living