Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
has anyne crssed a sweet Bell and superhot

Posted by andyandy 6bMI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 14:33

I'm curious if anyone out there has croosed a sweet Bell (red, yellow, or orange) with a Ghost or 7 pot (some sort of super hot). if so 2hat was the result?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: has anyne crssed a sweet Bell and superhot

I was thinking about doing it.They do have a Cajun belle pepper.Maybe,it would cross better. I'm curious too.

o

Waste of time imho. I grow both and volume to volume, I bet a superhot outproduces a bell plant by far. Would be interesting to see though.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 19:02

o

If you look in to the genetics of peppers you would find incompatibility between species. Lets say you cross a Bell and a Ghost. The first generation you might get a 30% germination rate if everything goes rite. Crossing your F1s your rate would go way down if at all. So I think it would be interesting to make such a cross you might be limited to F1 similar to the production of a mule being sterile after that. I could be wrong but to stabilize such a cross might not be possible due to genetic incompatibility between species. I think germination would be so low at F2 that other then an interesting experiment you might be wasting your time. Go for it anyway if you desire Who Knows, But as a way of developing a new pepper the odds are not in your favor. But please dont let me talk you out of trying One never knows.

o

Maybe I'll give it a try next year. I'm not growing any bell peppers this year but was curious.

o

Cross species is not normal. There have been successes with chemical intervention in squash. But I don't know of any interspecies crosses with peppers. Bells are C.annuum which can be crossed with other C. annuums. There are lots of moderately hot C. annuums. Most of the superhots are C. chinense

o

There was a chart floating around last year, but I found a different one that might help.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Crossing chile species

o

good read Kevin, thank you

o

I think I read somewhere of people trying to doing it but they never display the results. You should try anyway.

These is the steps I believe most people use to cross breed chili's. Works for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cross Breeding Chilis

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 15:57

o

Thank-you Kevin & Ronny, both bookmarked!

o

Bell and Bhut has been done, i think it was named Bellokia and some store actually sold the seeds for it last year (i forget which one). It looked like a long straight Jalapeno.

Bell and scotch bonnet has been done also, i saw a few threads on it, and saw it in a seed store earlier in the season.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Bell x Scotch Bonnet

This post was edited by sjetski on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 23:11

o

I had a bell and hot pepper (possibly choc hab) cross. Pictures and commentary at http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg0716122713492.html

o

I was trying to grow a white bell this year. it has been determined that it certainly is not white, as white bells are supposed to start out white, and ripen to yellow then red. but since I bought the seeds on amazon (the only seeds I bought this year), I should have known better. I was gonna throw them away, but I think I wanna try a cross between a bell and a brain strain. and a chocolate scorpion.

why? why not?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here