Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identify?

Posted by CaliforniaGrowing 10SoCal (dodgerzfan805@gmail.com) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 15:11

Hello this is my first post since becoming a member , and so far everyone has been super helpful and I have learned a lot just buy reading all of your posts! I am new to growing peppers. My friend just gave me a few of these pods and was hoping you guys could help me identify this pepper? Unfortunately I do not have a picture of the actual plant. Thank you guys!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identify?

Here's another picture.

o

I can try and get a picture of the plant if it's to hard to identify. Thanks

o

Pod doesn't look like anything I've grown.

o

Yes. A pic of the plant might narrow it down. I'm stumped a tad also.

o

Thanks DmForcier , I was told it is a native of mexico. Woohooman I will hopefully get a picture by tomorrow and post it here.

o

My friend was able to send me this picture of the pepper plant. He said his mother has had it a few years now. Any info about it will be greatly appeciated!

o

This looks like a chile pequin. I have relatives that live in Texas and these grow like wildfire. I also grew these and the bullet shaped little pods are very
similar.

Preston

o

I thought maybe goat pepper.
Randal

o

I was thinking Pequin too. I;m growing one, but have yet a mature pod, and I'm not sure of the size of the pods, since it's my 1st year growing one.

California: do the pods grow upright? Hard to see in that pic.

Kevin

o

Thank you for the info Preston , Randal , and Kevin! Kevin , from looking at the picture the pods are pointing down and not upwards. Would that eliminate pequins?

o

Yep.

Kevin

o

I googled goat pepper and pods look nothing alike. I'm stumped!

o

That looks like the same kind of pepper that I have asked for help to identify.

Old man of the garden

The fruit starts out sticking up and then ends up pointing down.

It makes a tall plant, like what you showed, with a woody stem. It is healthy for years.

o

Sluginator you are right , they do look pretty similar. I will ask my friend if the pods stand upright before pointing downward. I guess we call it mystery pepper for now?

o

Most people wouldn't remember which way it used to point.

I live in Carlsbad and can provide more photos, etc. to help identify.

o

Sluginator: hey neighbor! Santee here.

In one of your pics, the pods are upright and look like Pequin. The last pic though -- are they just pointed down because of weight of many pods and the branch has inverted?

Kevin

o

Woohooman: Howdee neighbor!

These peppers always do that. I don't know if it is weight or what that causes it.

When they are young they point up. Later they point down.

o

I did a search (Just curiosity ) and I think what you've got is some version of bird chili or pequin. Few years ago I grew a variety that was tiny and pointy. I have seen some that are round. So there could be varieties of different size as well.

seysonn

o
Too Big!

I think that the fruits are too big to be either pequin or bird chillies.

o

• Posted by djoy 5-6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 5:46

Being new to the whole growing side of things I have no idea but, I am curious.... why hasn't anyone mentioned the flavor/heat? Or is it an 'understood' when talking... bird pepper/pequin.? Still curious about it.

dj

o

Djoy: good point. That should be important.

These are hot. Maybe jalapeno times ten. Or times fifty. It is hard to measure.

The same with flavor. I don''t know how to measure flavor.

But you are correct. Flavor/heat should be important.

This pepper has lived for multiple years and everyone enjoys its flavor.

I just want to know what it is.

It is an interesting cultivar and I want to be able to kep growing it.

o

Actually, now that I think about it, the pods do kinda resemble a "Black Cobra" that turned out to be a goat pepper. Tall and spindly with a soapy taste. Hated it.

Dennis

o

I'm retracting my Pequin guess. I have plenty of pods on mine. And though I don't have any color yet, I just don't see them getting anywhere near that xize.

Kevin

o

Yeah. good point. Those are larger than my goat.

o

Maybe a Inca berry pepper?? Still trying to figure this out.

o

I doubt it. Though it looks similar, you said yourself it was a MEXICAN pepper. History taught me the Incas were in Peru. ;)

Kevin

o

CaliforniaGrowing, I think you are right!

Definitely a C. baccatum. That would explain the long life.

Another possibility is Earbob PI159272.

There is a good list of baccatums here:
Capsicum baccatum

o

Woohooman very true! I thought maybe it was not a mexican pepper , but doing more searching I found it does look similar to a Mexican pepper naked Catarina (capsicum annuum). What do you guys think?

o

A good match!

Here is a link that might be useful: Reimer Catarina

o

Right on northeast chileman!! I'm gonna get a few more pods from my friend and save them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here