Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pepper ID

Posted by greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 15:16

Hey guys and gals!

I'm trying to find an ID for someone. Not getting anywhere on my own, so far...
At first I thought maybe a Christmas Bell or something, but then I got the second pic
and see that there's no roundness near the stem. Thanks for any leads!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pepper ID

Hi Josh,

My guess would have been the bottom of a Christmas Bell, albeit a mal-formed pod. Any other pods on the plant? Did you start Christmas Bell seeds?

o

Thanks, Bill!

My first guess was Christmas Bell, which I saw you post a while back :-)

These are grown by some woman in Alberta...I don't think she remembers what she planted....

Also, I forgot the second pic! Maybe it will help.

o

Ahhh, in that case I'll take a WAG and suggest it's a pepper I stumbled across a few days ago on a seed site. I'll be damned, I can't remember the sight. It was a Hungarian balloon or mushroom or something like that. It's a paprika variety I believe.

I'm on a mission now ;-))

Sorry, no help from me right now.

o

I think I found my WAG... from a different site. The site I saw it on called it something else but it looks exactly the same. I'd trust the chileman site for naming.

So that's my guess ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: KALMAN HUNGARIAN

o

That sure ain't bad for a WAG!!!
Thanks, Bill, you've been a great help! Next step will be to see what the other pods look like.

Josh

o

Well if that's what it is, I found a little more info on the Seed Savers Exchange...

Pepper 1344 'Kalman's Hungarian Tomato Pepper'

'Kalman's Hungarian Tomato Pepper' was donated to SSE by Joe Cavanaugh of Delaware, NJ. Joe received this variety in the mid-1990s from Kalman Lajvort of Edison, NJ. Kalman brought this pepper, a family heirloom, with him when he immigrated to the United States from Hungary after the 1956 Hungarian Revolution. Of the many pepper varieties Joe has grown, this is one of his favorites!

Description: Flattened and highly ribbed tomato-shaped fruit ripen from green to red; fruit average two inches in height and four inches in diameter; very good flavor, moderately sweet, crisp thick flesh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kalman's Hungarian Tomato Pepper

o

Another huge Thank You!!! :-D
Heck, Bill, you ought to get paid for all this work ;-)

Josh

o

Oooh Josh,

Too funny, going through my seed inventory tonight I stumbled across one of the (too) many I haven't grown yet.

Depending upon how yours ripen it may be one of these...

Here is a link that might be useful: Botinecka Zuta

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here