Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enocelot

Organic Aphid Control

Enocelot
9 years ago

Any of you have any tips for organic aphid control?

I already tried the Lady Bugs, they did a great job, but they seem to have eaten themselves out of a job, left - and now the aphids are back.

Should just keep releasing Lady Bugs every month or so? Or do you guys know how to keep them around?

Or is there another method that may be more effective and longer lasting?

Right now I am manually removing the aphids, and that is a pain in the capsaicin.

Comments (7)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Blasting them off with a strong spray of water works great. Or you can use insecticidal soap as a second option. Just be sure you don't accidentally spray ladybug larva with the soap.

Rodney

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

What Rodney said. You just have to stay diligent -- every 3-4 days until populations are manageable.

Also, to attract beneficial insects and keep them around, begin an IPM program. May not help this year, but it's the way to go for any organic gardener.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Create an insectary

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

It is tough outdoors. Both spraying with water and insecticidal soap will work but only as a temporary fix. Spraying with Insecticidal soap will kill existing Aphids but, the thing with insecticidal soap is that is semi-persistent and will help to deter future infestations but only for a while. Even if the soap is dried on the plant, they aphids wont like it, but once it gets rinsed off completely from rain or watering, it will cease to do any good. Sometimes, you are just best off spraying them off every so often as long as they don't get too populated on your plants. Otherwise, you are probably going to have to step up to a chemical solution.
    Bruce

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I 3rd: Just blast them off. Plain water or with a bit of soap in it.

• mikeysab
    9 years ago

If you buy ladybugs, you can release some and keep the rest in the fridge. Release a handful when you need them. The good thing about ladybugs is they'll eat, bang, and make hungry little babies. I released ladybugs a month ago and theres still some that hang around. They seem to go back and forth wherever theres food. My hop plant seems to be like a holding pen. When my peppers have no aphids, they hang out on the hop plant. Then the aphids come back to the pepper plants and they move back over and chow down. 2 or 3 ladybugs on a pepper plant will rid the plant of aphids. Just release them at night as they will just fly off during the day

• Enocelot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all, for the advice.

Mike, i actually found a couple of baby Lady Bugs on the patio and in the Greenhouse, today. So maybe the ones I bought did their business before they left....

I will stick with the Lady Bugs and manual control, until necessity demands I start using soaps.

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

I would use second brewed coffee as a spray. I don't know if this is organic, but it isn't using a pesticide, mix 20% rubbing alcohol in water and use that as a spray. It is very clean.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone