Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuvaszlvr

question - enchilada sauce

kuvaszlvr
9 years ago

Hey guys, question, do you think homemade enchilada sauce would be as good with fresh poblanos and guajillos as with dried? all recipes I've seen call for dried chiles.
Pam

Comments (8)

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Here's a fresh recipe that was posted recently...

Here is a link that might be useful: Poblano Recipe

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, yeah, I saw that and thought it looked good, buy my husband does not like cream based foods. I told him about it this last weekend and told him it looked good but it was cream based, not batting an eye he commented, well, make it with tomatoes... sheesh. Nope, I was curious if a standard tomato based sauce would be as good with fresh vs dried, since it's that time of year. ;-)
    Pam

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Any sauce is good imo Pam, but you really do need the dried for traditional enchilada sauce. No dried at all?? Guajillos, Anchos, Pasillas, Chilhuacles, Arboles?

You and I have discussed this before and the complexity peppers gain through drying. Fresh is no problem, but I'd try to get SOME dried in. JMO. By the way, I never have used a fresh Guajillo.... I've always considered it a workhorse, but only as a dried pepper. Same goes for Arbol.

Kevin

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Ah, no cream. I understand. The time the new babysitter made our Campbell's Tomato soup with milk instead of water, well it started a riot. ;)

Here's one with jalapenos, but no idea how good it may be...

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Enchiladas

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hahaha mecdave, I'm glad somebody understands. ;-) I tell him it's like trying to feed a 5yr old. haha, I used to make Campbell's Tomato soup with milk, that's how my parents made it. ;-) Thanks for the site, it looks interesting, I'm always up for trying something new.

Hey Kevin, yeah, I have a ton of dried (pasillas, anchos, guajillos so I'm good) but it just seemed like such a waste to not use fresh if you have them on the vine. Never used fresh guajillos? I use them in chili.

While I've got your attention, didn't you say awhile back that you made mole sauce, but not the long drawn every ingredient known to man version? If so, how do you make your mole? I want to make it but not have to buy out the store and spend all day. I have got a good variety of Oaxaca peppers and I'd like to make some mole. Guess I gotta dry them first, huh?

Pam

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

BTW... I made some of those Poblano, cheese, and bacon snacks this weekend. If your peppers are as hot as mine, they will be a perfect substitute for the jalapenos. These little peppers are actually hotter than most of the jalapenos I've ever eaten.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Pam: No I haven't tried to make mole yet. Will be later this fall/winter when I get some of those chilhuacles dry. But yes, I'm going to do like you want to do... I'll still be adding some of the odd things like chocolate and pumpkin seeds, but try to keep the list on a leash and still have it tasty. I'll let you know.

Kevin

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

:-) mecdave, I did the same. Although I did my hamburger mixture stuffed into poblano halves the covered in cheese. Interesting the San Luis were hot, but not terribly. But I was very disappointed with the Caballeros. They weren't ripe yet, still green, but they were very hard, even after baking. I had to use a knife to cut them. I will let the rest ripen and see if they are better. They were hot, I think hotter than usual poblanos.

has anyone here grown Caballeros? if so, any reviews? I got the seeds from Park, they are a hybrid, and Park raves about them being the best poblano... so far I am NOT impressed.

Definitely let me know about the mole Kevin. I've got a ton of Chihuacle negros, amarillos, and rojos. So, I'm going to be ready.

Pam

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio