Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ghost pepper ripening

Posted by steven1032 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 15:59

how long does it take for a ghost pepper from start to finsh take to turn red?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ghost pepper ripening

Once they start to turn they are fairly quick. What takes time with Bhuts is how long it takes for the plant to mature from seed. As with most Chinense varieties, they are slow to set their first fruit, but are very productive once they get going, fruits grow and ripen fairly quickly.

o

this one is a bright green. how will you know when there about to turn? i have a lot of bhuts on the vine but it seems to be taking forever.

o

I hope you are right Capoman. I have two fruits only so far. I had some flower drops because of poor weather. It is disheartening to see bright sunshine everywhere except here.

o

Peppers are like cats, not dogs.

Dogs have owners, cats have attendants.

You attend to them until they're good and ready to do what they do... ripen.

Give them time.

o

Bright green with sorta smooth skin as a very, very young Bhut pod then it gets really bumpy and gets a darker green, then you will see orange start from the top and work its way down then you blink and its red.

o

They'll get to this point and take anywhere from one to three weeks to turn.

o

Hi Guys,

I live in Australia and I'm attempting to grow a ghost pepper plant. There is plenty of heat here so that isn't a problem. I did have a problem with blossoms falling off for a while until I asked a green thumb friend. He suggested I water it with a small amount of liquid fertiliser a few times a week, which I did and that fixed that problem. I do however read with interest the time it takes for the fruit to turn from green to red. My plant has a heap of fruit on it and they have been green for about a month. There is no sign of red/orange yet. I have never seen a ghost plant much less fruit here and I look forward to seeing if they are as hot as all reports.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 7:52

You will come out one day soon and find one or two with a dash or orange on them. Then within a couple days, great numbers of them will start turning red. Not long after that, you will have all the ripe ghost peppers you and your friends can handle. It is just a waiting game now as long as you still have plenty of growing season left down under.
Bruce

o

Wow, you guys have some fast Ghost peppers.
I just checked my pics from a year ago...August 15th I have a green Ghost - September 21st I have a ripe Ghost. As the others have mentioned, once the color change begins, it does happen rapidly (about a week or so).

Josh

o

Yeah, in my experience it takes about a month after the pod stops growing before it starts turning, but once they start they'll flash over in about a week.

o

My ghost peppers have been orange for a couple weeks, shouldn't they have turned red by now?

o

ghost, devils tongue and carolina reapers

o

first year i've grown the ghost and the reaper, and yes once the ghost peppers start turning, you can blink and they are ripe! thinkin about makin salsa again this year, any tips or suggestions anyone? thanks for any feedback!

o

I took this picture over a week ago. Any thoughts on how long I will have to wait before these will be fully grown and fully ripe?
A month?
In the last week, they haven't seemed to have grown a lot. We got a good thunderstorm last night, though.

o

It happened fast for me last year. It took about a week for these peppers to go from green to red where they are now.

o

Loweride, you have a wait ahead of you....those pods need to reach full size first, and then the color change.

Josh

o

What is full-size? 4"?

o

Or smaller. 4" is about the biggest I've seen.

o

2 - 5 inches, or so...

Josh

o

My ghost is about 1.5 feet tall and starting to Y.
Lots of buds and new growth.
Can't wait!

Stoney

o

Beautiful Peppers Greenman.....

o

Thanks, Kclost, those were the prettiest.... ;-)

Josh

o

Found this on a plant this morning here in southeastern Missouri!

o

Found a few days ago in Connecticut. This one has a weird split in it, like a snake's tongue

o

Ex utero twins!

o

Haha! I know! Weird, right? Is it me, or does it look like a Halloween decoration of a Ghost, reclining, with his arm out, and the stem is like a witch's hat on his head?! I swear, there's a face on it from those "Scream" movies... Ha! (Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here