Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

A little help...

If you saw my solstice update, you noticed a couple superhots that were struggling. Well, here's an update...

BEFORE

AFTER a full strength feeding of MG AP and a small dose of epsom AND a feeding of fish ferts

So, for that, thanks greenman28 for the suggestion.

Here's the issue, I took a closer look at a couple leaves of one of them and there's some discoloration forming. yellowing I can handle but browning/blackening worries me a tad.

Here's a pic of a stunted Bhut that survived seedling stage, so i decided to let it have a shot in the garden. I'm not worried about it. I have no problem in yanking it.

But... I'm also noticing something similar on one of the much improved above.

I'd hate to have to yank this one also since it's made a nice recovery.

Any ideas, suggestions, feedback?

I did recently spray a very weak vinegar solution to pre-treat Powdery Mildew but these plants were in shaded areas during the recent heat wave. This treatment would seem odd to affect only 1 plant.

Thanks

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 17:06

Comments (10)

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Kevin, an awesome improvement those first two plants. How long it took after you applied those fertilizer? The other your plants are also look very strong. I had problems before just like your last 3 plants. I thought it was soil and nutrient deficiency related problem.

Good luck to find a solution.

Caelian
    Edited for some addition.

This post was edited by chilliwin on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 17:11

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Great improvement, indeed.
    I had the same lack of nutrients, and nutrients brought them right back around. It took mine about three weeks to turn the corner. Every two weeks, I water with 1/2 teaspoon Epsom Salts per gallon of water, pouring 1 liter on each 5-gallon container.

As for the blackening leaves, I can't say. I imagine vinegar could do that, but I'd be guessing.

Josh

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Caelian: Well, the 1st pics were taken on June 20th, I think. So, just a couple weeks. Actually , more like a week. Quite a dramatic improvement in such a short time period.

Josh: Yep... great turnaround imo -- Thanks again. It's that discoloring that concerns me though. If it was a seed-borne illness, you think it would've showed up earlier?

Soil-borne is pretty much eliminated. So, I'm going with airborne or seed borne IF it is a disease. I really don't think it was the vinegar.

Kevin

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Could be the vinegar.

Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL. leave it to an expert to put me in my place

So jean001a, at this point, you don't think it's something fungal or bacterial?

Thanks.

Kevin

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Correct. Not a disease.

• willardb3
    10 years ago

Stop obsessing over your plants and find a good book to read.

Obsessive attention to Chile plants will kill them.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Agreed with Jean, does not look like any disease i've ever seen, but it does "look like" a reaction to something bad sprayed on the leaves.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

I also vote the vinegar-it's been recommended as a weed killer elsewhere. Looks like the youngest leaves (presumably not yet grown when the vinegar was applied) are fine, but the slightly older leaves are discolored (and they still show tender growth) and then the oldest leaves are fine.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok... so NO vinegar for powdery mildew anymore. It's ok... scored on some Potassium bicarbonate a few days ago.

willard3: What makes you think I'm obsessing? How often do I ask a question regarding my plants?

I see a condition that I've never seen before and want more info. to tell me... "ok, DON'T do that anymore" or "keep doing that -- that looks like it's working."

How is THAT obsessing? Have you seen OTHER pics of my plants? Do they look bad?

Thanks everybody.

Kevin

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio