Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing tabasco peppers, leaving them on the plant and blooming

Posted by Graelin Zone 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 16:13

Hey guys, I've got more questions for you. My little tabasco plant is delighted with this heatwave we're having, so much so that it ripened-up four little peppers already (and I do mean little; they're the smallest peppers on the bush). So now I'm wondering about some things.

First, is it okay to leave ripe peppers on the plant, or will they rot and fall off after X amount of time? I'd like to leave them all on the plant and just pick 'em all at the same time, if that's possible. I'm guessing it doesn't work that way.

Secondly, is it okay to freeze tabasco peppers? I know it's okay with most varieties, but as many of you know, tabascos are juicy inside. Will freezing damage them? Should they just go in the crisper?

Lastly, I noticed the plant isn't producing anymore flowers. Is that normal, or should it flower anytime conditions are right?

As an aside, I ate one of the little guys I picked earlier. Of course it was fairly warm, but WOW, what a nice, smokey flavor! I had no idea fresh tabasco was so good. I'm thinking they'd taste great in grilled sausages.

I also took the advice several of you gave in this forum and added some bonemeal, as the leaves were starting to wrinkle-up a bit. The plant seems to be pretty happy now with its smooth, dark leaves. So thanks for that advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing tabasco peppers, leaving them on the plant and bloom

Do not leave them on the plant very long. Once they turn bright red you only have a couple days till they get really mushy.

They freeze really well as long as you do it very soon after a harvset.

And yes Tobasco's seem to love the heat and will keep producing cycle after cycle. The flowers will come after a fatt bounty of lil fire crackers.! Jamie

o

Thanks, Jamie! They're in the freezer now.

o

I remove the seeds before freezing peppers. The seeds don't seem to take to freezing, they taste bad and kinda' stink.

o

I think the seeds add to the heat. I do not eat frozen peppers raw. But then again I typically make salsa with my frozen peppers or grill them. Have not noticed a funky taste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here