Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graelin

Freezing tabasco peppers, leaving them on the plant and blooming

Graelin
12 years ago

Hey guys, I've got more questions for you. My little tabasco plant is delighted with this heatwave we're having, so much so that it ripened-up four little peppers already (and I do mean little; they're the smallest peppers on the bush). So now I'm wondering about some things.

First, is it okay to leave ripe peppers on the plant, or will they rot and fall off after X amount of time? I'd like to leave them all on the plant and just pick 'em all at the same time, if that's possible. I'm guessing it doesn't work that way.

Secondly, is it okay to freeze tabasco peppers? I know it's okay with most varieties, but as many of you know, tabascos are juicy inside. Will freezing damage them? Should they just go in the crisper?

Lastly, I noticed the plant isn't producing anymore flowers. Is that normal, or should it flower anytime conditions are right?

As an aside, I ate one of the little guys I picked earlier. Of course it was fairly warm, but WOW, what a nice, smokey flavor! I had no idea fresh tabasco was so good. I'm thinking they'd taste great in grilled sausages.

I also took the advice several of you gave in this forum and added some bonemeal, as the leaves were starting to wrinkle-up a bit. The plant seems to be pretty happy now with its smooth, dark leaves. So thanks for that advice!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry