Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of pepper is this?

Posted by frank1es none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 16:26

I bought bhut jolokia seeds from the NMSU. Also some lady gave me one seed and said it was a bhut jolokia. It happened to germinate and grew faster than most of the other bhuts, however it looks slightly different, my thoughts were either a bhut/habanero hybrid or a different strand of bhut any thoughts? My taste test is pending, NMSU bhuts are not ripe.
Photo 1: Bhut from NMSU
Photo 2: "Bhut' From random lady.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of pepper is this?

It looks like a Naga variety. If so, it should be damn hot, they're from the same Assam region as the Bhuts.

o

I agree with Ottawa!

Josh

o

Wow! 1 seed equals 100% germination rates. That's pretty good considering some random old lady just handed you a seed.

o

If I had to guess, I'd say its a Naga Morich.

o

Good. Well we sent her somethings for some cuttings and she included as a bonus one seed. It was weird but I decided to plant it and pic 2 was what came up.
Yeah, I googled the Naga Morich and they appear very similar. They are slightly shorter (on avg) and less wrinkled than the NMSU bhuts.

o

Some kind of chinense.

o

Photobucket
can someone identify mine at the box store it just said ghost, no variety. it seems the Bhut jalokia is longer than the naga variety. what do you think i have here it wasnt that long and the second pepper was even shorter without that tapered look of the Bhut? but that one in the pic does have some of the tapered look though now that I look at it.

o

@Darylltx the plant looks fairly small it could just be a deformed pepper, wait until you get a few more, my bhuts vary in size and from your photo id say its a bhut

o

I just ate a pepper from the 2nd picture chopped, and put on a pizza. Whatever specific pepper it is, my Caribbean reds have nothing on it, which was the hottest pepper I have tried before today. My nose is leaking, and my lips are burning to an almost numb state. awesome!

o

Daryl, that one looks like a bhut to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here