Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feedback about my habenero plant!

Posted by Beanes_likesithot 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 16:48

This is my 2nd year growing habeneros, last year I grew one plant in a 5 gallon bucket. This year I bought a baby plant from the local produce place, and planted into my garden. The only other thing I have growing with them is a pickle bush and one more habby plant. Anyway.. I've had many many large green habs for quite some time. I will pick the green ones and they are very hot. Beautiful peppers. Today I picked off 51 green full size habs that show no sign of changing color. I found that last year if I waited until they were orange, they were almost rotted, with black inside. Why won't they turn orange. I've bought orange habs from the grocery store that were no where near as hot as my green ones. I planted the habenero around May 30th as a baby. Well today July 28th it's giant! June was extremely hot, probably at least 15 days of 90 degree heat in Kentucky. I would appreciate any feedback! I'm a beginner. I have not used fertilizer at all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feedback about my habenero plant!

The pickins

o

last year did you wait until all had turned orange before pulling off? Perhaps that is why they were funky. I pull off as they ripen. it does take time though. I have 2 types of Habs and a ghost-Hab cross. between the three of them probably 200 pods. Not one has chaged color yet.You wont get much heat if you pick them green. I say wait and pull off as they ripen.

o

Picture taken today

o

Oh, they are very very hot right now, this green.

o

Last year I also picked some while green to increase productivity of the growth.

o

This year the peppers are very large, some of the largest habs I have ever seen.

o

My plant still has probably over 50 more pods at least, probably more I left on.

o

If it's in full sun, provide some shade and it may think it's Fall and time to ripen up. But they're slow to ripen here too. Out of 100 pods I've only been able to pick a half dozen a week for the last six weeks.

o

It gets full sun from 10am too about 4pm 5 at the latest

o

Maybe your plant had something wrong with it and thats why the ripe pods were rotting? Leave a few peppers on the plant for a while and see if they rot again, or change quickly. Good luck.

o

Hi Beanes,
I suggest you try allowing the pods to ripen on the plant again. What you experienced last year is not normal (the pods rotting immediately after ripening).
I have a slight, minority, tiny fraction that will do this, but it is certainly not normal.

The published norm for pepper plants is full sun, but be careful in super hot outside temperatures, they will actually do better with some shade to protect them from overheating a bit.

The following is my perception... not proven fact!

I have had super-wilty (to the brink of death) plants lose their ripe pods in the manor that you describe; It *seemed* like it was from the plant going into super shock, but im not sure. So, im not sure if that is your situation or not, but something to consider.

o

How long will it normally take for them to turn orange? I feel like they have been big and green for quite sometime.. Weeks.. I left about 50 on the plant, I will wait it out for some orange! In the meantime, habenero jelly coming up!

o

They some times take a while, especially with hotter peppers. Ive had ghosts take a month to ripen.

o

• Posted by jutsFL 9b (Orlando) (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 2:33

Patience is key... They will ripen, but some seemingly take FOREVER!
Not to say that the green pods aren't good, just the ripe ones will be better.

Jay

o

Could they possibly be Scotch Bonnets? Every time I see habs orange in a produce store, they are way smaller than mine.

o

Not scotch bonnet. Scotch bonnets have a very distinct shape - like a scotch bonnet.

Dennis

P.S. Don't quote me I've never grown them. But see pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic

This post was edited by DMForcier on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 10:57

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here