Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beanes_likesithot

Feedback about my habenero plant!

This is my 2nd year growing habeneros, last year I grew one plant in a 5 gallon bucket. This year I bought a baby plant from the local produce place, and planted into my garden. The only other thing I have growing with them is a pickle bush and one more habby plant. Anyway.. I've had many many large green habs for quite some time. I will pick the green ones and they are very hot. Beautiful peppers. Today I picked off 51 green full size habs that show no sign of changing color. I found that last year if I waited until they were orange, they were almost rotted, with black inside. Why won't they turn orange. I've bought orange habs from the grocery store that were no where near as hot as my green ones. I planted the habenero around May 30th as a baby. Well today July 28th it's giant! June was extremely hot, probably at least 15 days of 90 degree heat in Kentucky. I would appreciate any feedback! I'm a beginner. I have not used fertilizer at all.

Comments (16)

• Beanes_likesithot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The pickins

• andyandy
    9 years ago

last year did you wait until all had turned orange before pulling off? Perhaps that is why they were funky. I pull off as they ripen. it does take time though. I have 2 types of Habs and a ghost-Hab cross. between the three of them probably 200 pods. Not one has chaged color yet.You wont get much heat if you pick them green. I say wait and pull off as they ripen.

• Beanes_likesithot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture taken today

• Beanes_likesithot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, they are very very hot right now, this green.

• Beanes_likesithot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last year I also picked some while green to increase productivity of the growth.

• Beanes_likesithot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This year the peppers are very large, some of the largest habs I have ever seen.

• Beanes_likesithot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My plant still has probably over 50 more pods at least, probably more I left on.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

If it's in full sun, provide some shade and it may think it's Fall and time to ripen up. But they're slow to ripen here too. Out of 100 pods I've only been able to pick a half dozen a week for the last six weeks.

• Beanes_likesithot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It gets full sun from 10am too about 4pm 5 at the latest

• tom_92
    9 years ago

Maybe your plant had something wrong with it and thats why the ripe pods were rotting? Leave a few peppers on the plant for a while and see if they rot again, or change quickly. Good luck.

• pepper_rancher
    9 years ago

Hi Beanes,
    I suggest you try allowing the pods to ripen on the plant again. What you experienced last year is not normal (the pods rotting immediately after ripening).
    I have a slight, minority, tiny fraction that will do this, but it is certainly not normal.

The published norm for pepper plants is full sun, but be careful in super hot outside temperatures, they will actually do better with some shade to protect them from overheating a bit.

The following is my perception... not proven fact!

I have had super-wilty (to the brink of death) plants lose their ripe pods in the manor that you describe; It *seemed* like it was from the plant going into super shock, but im not sure. So, im not sure if that is your situation or not, but something to consider.

• Beanes_likesithot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How long will it normally take for them to turn orange? I feel like they have been big and green for quite sometime.. Weeks.. I left about 50 on the plant, I will wait it out for some orange! In the meantime, habenero jelly coming up!

• tom_92
    9 years ago

They some times take a while, especially with hotter peppers. Ive had ghosts take a month to ripen.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Patience is key... They will ripen, but some seemingly take FOREVER!
    Not to say that the green pods aren't good, just the ripe ones will be better.

Jay

• Beanes_likesithot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Could they possibly be Scotch Bonnets? Every time I see habs orange in a produce store, they are way smaller than mine.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Not scotch bonnet. Scotch bonnets have a very distinct shape - like a scotch bonnet.

Dennis

P.S. Don't quote me I've never grown them. But see pic.

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by DMForcier on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 10:57

Sponsored