Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20039395

Reaper update

User
9 years ago

Hi folks
Just took this picture while I was watering them. They should be getting their true leaves any day now. Hope they grow as big and robust as the pictures I've seen on this forum.
Randal

This post was edited by toolstack on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 18:18

Comments (10)

• scorion1
    9 years ago

They are looking good.

• obchili
    9 years ago

Nice looking little plants you got there. My baby reaper says hi to yours....

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Hats off to y'all in the colder climates, looks like zones 6 and 3... Sometimes I wonder how much more prep goes into these operations. We've got it pretty darn easy here in central FL. I've got to ask though - how long of a growing season do you have left? Is it still feasible with seedlings? I ask because I truly don't know, I've lived in FL my entire life.

Jay

• obchili
    9 years ago

Hi there. As for how long a growing season is left, I am not too sure as a first year grower, but my uncle and I harvested late September last year with Caribbean red habanero's. Is it still feasable with seedlings, no. I was just bored playing around and threw a cracked seed in a coffee filter to see if it would germinate. Here it is. I do have a couple of possible places to winter a couple of plants so I am not to terribly worried. I am more worried about my 3 Palm seedlings.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all, yeah late September will about do it for me too.
    I figuring out now how I'm gonna get some grow lights hooked up. I probably should have waited but I was excited when I got the seeds and couldn't resist planting some. I might pick a grown plant or two and over winter them but I haven't decided yet.
    Randal

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

In zone 3 you'll be very lucky to make it to the end of Sept. But take advantage of the sun while you have it. Those guys are about to the point where you can start hardening them off.

Good luck,
    Dennis

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got up to find one had sprouted it's true leaves this morning. Amazing.
    About how long till I can harden them off Dennis?
    Randal

• obchili
    9 years ago

I'm not Dennis, and you did not ask for my opinion, but I would say let them see the sun. Mine was germinated indoors, then put in the pot you see and left outdoors here in Manitoba weather.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry obchili I wasn't trying to snub you or anyone lol I appreciate all advice. Your plant looks great especially for a cracked seed. I actually set them out in the sun for about 11/2 hours today. These 2 are the only ones I had germinate so I trying my best to keep them healthy.
    Randal

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

It kinda depends. If you've had a fan on them and they are going out to a wind-protected area, then they will need less acclimatization than otherwise. Likewise how intense/cloudy the sun is on the day. I'd start out with a half hour of sun, then set then in protected shade for the rest of the day. Use your best judgement.

Dennis

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio