Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmforcier_gw

I claim the first ripe Bhut of the season

DMForcier
10 years ago

... not counting you peoples down there in the tropics where snow is a myth from New Babylon.

Pic is about a week old. These were started at the end of January. Harvest (okay, small harvest) by the end of June is not bad, eh?

From lower left, bhut jolokia, alma paprika, peter, cayennes, cowhorn. There's a ripe naga and another ripe peter already but I left those on the plants.

Comments (29)

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

No offense, but your entry isn't ripe. I call for a re-vote! :)

Tim

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

I vote for disqualification due to bad maturity judgment lol

Bill

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I was going to say the same thing.

I'm gonna post a pic of the new strain, GREEN MINI Ghost. Pic was taken 3 weeks ago.

:P

Kevin

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Haha, good one!
    Well, you can have the "first color" award.
    Meanwhile, I don't have a single superhot pod on my plants.

Josh

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

Nice bhut!

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

it must be nice. all I have are piles of buds and flowers that mine keep dropping. is that normal? I doubt it.

10 years ago

Judo, that's completely normal!

Josh

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I figured it would be normal if it dropped a bud that didn't get pollinated, but to drop them before it even opens is normal? what an inconsiderate plant! doesn't it know I want peppers?

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, okay, a mini bhut. It is kinda small but it has big brothers and sisters so don't mess around!

And it is quite ripe now, thank you very much. A nice glossy warty red. I'd bite it if I didn't know better.

Can I have my First Ripe BJ Award now?

[What is the award, btw? .. Oh - "A ripe BJ." ... Well thank you much you cheapskates.]

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

Those pods must have you delusional... :)

Bill

• rodnebridges
    10 years ago

Wow !! One more cup of "Haterade" folks. :) He's got more than I have so far this year and we are in the same zone!!

• Armageddon
    10 years ago

DMForcier ......myself being in a limited time zone would not have let that crop go trough lots of wasted energy .....here in Michigan i am still pulling off blooms to force all energy to the foliage and root structure will make for larger healthier plants ... being the way the weather has been i am leaning to a longer season before harvest if mother nature does not cooperate all the materials are already sitting idle for mini green houses at all my outdoor gardens hoping for that extended season....

This post was edited by Armageddon on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 2:30

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

Haterade?
    I guess people having a little fun is hateful...

I live in S.Ca.
    I almost forgot what a real winter is,BUT i still wouldn't post a green,half or less grown pepper as my first pic of the year/season.
    I'd have waited a week or so when just taking the pic of a ripe Bhut would have fogged up the camera lens and defrosted everything in my fridge or freezer.

At the same time there is nothing wrong with taking pride in your grow.
    DN just got a little excited and jumped the gun with his Bhut pic.
    Happens to all of us from time to time with the stuff we grow that really excites us.
    IF that is an example of a green pod from his plant,wait til he posts the ripe ones that are 2X nastier and bigger.

Good going DM.
    Lots of work involved with growing our addiction to peppers.
    Keep up the good work.
    I don't know if you preserve(pickle,dry or make powders) but I hope your pods last you until next harvest.

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Well said smoke! There was no malice intended with my statement. I even giggled as I typed it. I just assumed everyone else, including the op. I apologize if it was taken the wrong way. I love seeing pics from other peoples plants/ pods. Hopefully our playful ribbing doesn't discourage anyone from proudly postings pics of their "babies".

Tim

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Top this! HA!

[I'd post the pic with a quarter but then you'd see how mini it really is. Maybe there's something in the dirt here first a mini cat, now a mini bhut. But both are fierce, whatever the size.]

From 6 o'clock, BJ, probably a Congo Savina (it was dropped when struck by a branch), HHW (probably my only one as the pods was nearly as big as the plant), almas, peter, early Naga morich (see another thread for how different the pods were on that plant).

Dennis

BTW, Tim, I heard you giggling from here.

This post was edited by DMForcier on Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 19:35

• rodnebridges
    10 years ago

Sorry smoke and pepper. I just wanted to say "haterade" because I thought it was a funny word. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I think everyone is OK now. written words tend to have the affect of not portraying the real intent which often happens in forums, email, chat, etc. But back to the First Ripe topic. My plants finally hit stride a few weeks ago and are growing fast now after languishing ever since germination in February. Most have a pod or two at least and all at least have buds now. I have picked several HHW pods although they are not yet fully ripe (Red) but I like them that way just fine. My sandwiches wouldn't be the same without them. I am looking forward to some nice harvests in a few weeks and also seeing photos of some of the awesome harvests others have every year.
    Bruce

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Sorry for what? It is a funny word! :)

Tim

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

But you can have the cat. She is intent on finding some spilled dirt to wallow in. Makes repotting a real adventure.

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Now you're just being greedy!

• PaPeppers
    10 years ago

congrats! how long till you first stated to see flowers?. still waiting on my bhut to do anything. growing strong though

• tony469
    10 years ago

Peter pepper ?.lol

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flowers in May, I think. I wasn't watching too closely then all of a sudden I had pods! Extrapolate the flowers backward from that.

I've had two ripe peters so far, but they are not nearly as obscene as yours. I'm jealous.

Greed is good. Didn't you know?

Dennis

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More ripeage.

Dennis

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As above, restricted to those above the frost line.

I count 15 pods > 1"D on this plant alone. These Congos are really prolific!

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

I'm really starting to get annoyed at all of you ripe pod people! :) I come home everyday and run to the garden only to be greeted by a sea of green. Will i ever see color?!
    Congrats on your ripe pods, they look awesome.

Tim

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

Wow Dennis, Finally a true Red one... :)

Bill

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Tim:

I'm in the same boat as you. Lot's of pods, no color yet. I'll take it though -- I'd much rather have it this way than to have blossoms/pods dropping left and right as a result of temps soaring. I do have ONE that's changing, but I just think it's because that pod is a bit deformed.

My Guajillos are turning though.

Kevin

10 years ago

Nice pods! :-D

Josh