Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rick_in_va

Help ID This Pepper

rick_in_va
9 years ago

I bought this pepper at a large chain grocery store, no name as usual (I probably wouldn't trust them if they DID label it). I love it and of course will save seeds. But I would like to know what it is that I am growing. Any ideas?

It was about 6 1/2 inches long before I started eating it. Tapered to a somewhat blunt point, but a point nonetheless. Thickness like a Jal and hotter. Most in the bin were light green but this one was ripe and it was yellow. Starting to age so I think it would not have changed color any more.

I would guess it is some kinda cayenne except it is yellow when ripe and thicker flesh than the kind of cayenne you would dry. Suggestions are welcome.

Comments (6)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I would have guess that it was a Banana Pepper, either hot or sweet until you said the others were green. Banana peppers are yellow to begin with and I believe they will eventually turn red when fully ripe. Although they are normally eaten yellow. I would rule out any type of cayenne although there is a yellow version of cayenne. Cayenne are much skinnier.

Are you sure the other green peppers were the same variety or maybe this one got tossed in with a bunch of other variety because it really says Banana Pepper to me. Even with the tail eaten off.

How much heat did it have. Even a Hot banana Pepper isn't all that hot. If it has no heat, then I would say Sweet Banana Pepper.

Here is the Hot Banana Pepper description:
    Hot Banana Pepper
    This heirloom variety from Europe is considered a mildly hot pepper. Fruit is waxy, yellow and 6 to 8 inches long. It takes 65 to 85 days to mature and the taste ranges from medium to hot with between 5,000 and 15,000 Scoville heat units.

• fred_d
    9 years ago

There is a new cayenne hybrid pepper. it is yellow when ripe.They have a little kick.These came from Bonnie.They have photos and give the SU values.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yah, I realize there are yellow Cayenne Peppers. But check it out. This thing is 2" wide at the shoulders. I don't think any thing called Cayenne would be that big. The pictures of yellow cayennes that I have seen look basically identical to regular cayennes except that they are yellow....Maybe 1/4 to 1/2" max at the shoulders.
    Bruce

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Gypsy peppers also start yellow and turn red when ripe.

• makalu_gw
    9 years ago

Based on the size and the heat description, I'd go with Volcano pepper. Looks like a Hungarian but with a little kick.

• rick_in_va
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a couple of regular yellow cayennes from Bonnie. They don't look anything like this one, they are much skinnier and mostly shorter.

The heat on this one is hotter than a Jal, but not nearly as hot as a Thai or Super Chili. The others in the bin were a pale green, some with patches of yellow. I chose this one because I wanted to be sure the seeds would be mature enough to save. I don't think it would have turned darker, at least not any time soon. Seems like a lot of yellow peppers will eventually get orange, even red, if you wait long enough.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check out the Volcano angle and get back to you.

Rick

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21