Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bri1010_gw

mystery pepper (mislabeled seed package) with pic

bri1010
12 years ago

So I bought a pack of jalapeno seeds from the hardware store early this spring, as an afterthought (i purchased all of my other seeds from reputable sources), and now that the plant is bearing fruit, I'm thinking that it is not what it said it is. Here is a pic. My sunglasses are next to the pepper, to try to give it some scale.

My question is: what is it, and is it ripe?

Comments (10)

• tsheets
    12 years ago

Looks to me like an Anaheim / NuMex type.

Can be used green or let ripen to red.

• bri1010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great, thanks for the lead! So if I wanted to pick them green, would they be ready yet, or should I wait for them to get bigger/darker green?

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

That is about the right shade and size for an anaheim or numex green chile, the only question is does it feel firm and a little waxy to the touch, if so, pick it, rinse it, and eat it up, they r fantastic roasted!
    paul

• bri1010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I harvested about 5 of them today, roasted them, and stuffed em with cream cheese, cheddar, fresh chives, then stuck them under the broiler. Delicious!! I can't wait for later in the season when they pick up a little more heat.

Thanks for the pointers!

• sworegonjim
    12 years ago

Howdy,

Those look so delicious. Definately in the Anaheim, Pablano, NuMex green chile family. Maybe even a Big Jim.
    Check out the below link, to New Mexico State University's "Chile Pepper Institute". Scroll down through the chiles on that page and you will see some that look like your photo.

They look great to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Chile Pepper Inhstitute

• tsheets
    12 years ago

Awesome! I'm still waiting on mine, can't wait!

• thenewmidwestchilehead
    12 years ago

Definitely not a jalapeno. As others have said, it looks like a Numex type, possibly a Big Jim. Variable heat, but mostly mild-medium. As you have discovered, it makes a great rellano. And when roasted and peeled, chop those puppies into a nice dice, freeze in ice cube trays then transfer into ziplocks and freeze. You will never buy canned green chiles again . . . .

• bri1010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Everything I read says to roast/peel them before use. While I LOVED them when I prepared them like that last week, I was wondering if they can be used raw? If I can, once they pick up a little more heat, they would probably be great sliced on tacos, burgers, pizzas, etc., or diced in salsas.

• tsheets
    12 years ago

I've always heard to roast/peel as well, never tried them raw / without peeling. I don't see why you couldn't though. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes!

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

trust me when I say to you that anaheims, big jims and all of the new mex types are just fine raw chopped up and sprinkled on salad or tacos, or sauteed w, onions and garlic, or pickled, or any other way u would use a green unripe pepper, they are always mentioned roasted because, that is how they do it in new mexico. In fact when I lived in santa fe, every fall, every grocery store in town has big roasters out front and they sell them roasted by the pound, its funny cause from late august till early october the whole town smells like roasted chiles :) Ps if you want to harvest them green, stress ur plants a bit to get extra heat out of them, dont water for a couple of days before you pick them and preferably pick them in the heat of the day, the chiles from hatch, NM are always way hotter during the hot arid years, I have had hatch new mex types that would rival habaneros during drought years!

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH