Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stoneys_fatali

Watering more lately.

stoneys_fatali
9 years ago

Been having temps in the mid 90's and it's only supposed to get hotter over the next week. Plants in my 10 gallon containers are fine but my Bhut is in a 3 gallon and wilts after a couple days. Hit him with water..perks right back up. My containers are shielded by plywood (thanks woohooman!) and all plants look healthy.

I'd like to put the Ghost in a larger container but it just looks too good right now (Dark green foliage and flowers everywhere).

One more issue I'm having is my Hungarian Pumpkin pepper that I've been hardening off. At night and morning, it's fine but as soon as temps hit the 90's, his leaves wilt and get very soft to the touch. I'm assuming it's stress as it has plenty of water. I move it back indoors, it perks right back up.
So do I leave it out in the 90 degree weather (in the shade BTW)? It has to get used to being outside at some point.

Thanks,
Stoney

Comments (13)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

I would get it into a larger container, and yes leave outside in the shade its good for it, even if its 90. I have a quick draining mix and water now every day or every other day.

Mark

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You mean the guy in the picture right Mark? Not the Ghost.
    I have a 10 gallon I am going to put it in with pro-mix HP.

Stoney

This post was edited by stoneys_fatali on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 18:51

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

I am experiencing much of the same. We have been in the mid nineties for over a week now.

I picked up a couple of bhut Jolokia on close out at the local nursery that have only been in the ground for a week, and it has been a challenge keeping them happy. Even when I know there is enough moisture in the soil, during the hottest part of the day they can get pretty sad looking.

Seems to be more of a problem with the shallow roots getting too hot. I would think that your little pumpkin might be having a similar problem being in that little cup.?

All of my plants that have established (deeper) root systems are handling the heat like champs and only need water every 2.5/3 days.

I laid down some burlap around my young ones to keep the temps down a little in the soil. Seems to be helping, as they don't get as bad as they were. Before that I had been walking a fine line around damping off just trying to keep the roots from cooking..

dj

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

I say both stoney. Get them both in large containers. it's only July. And do like Mark suggested... after transplant, leave them in partial shade or full shade for a week or so, especially if the heat persists.

Djoy: same thing. Your new plants are just way too shallow to endure mid 90's. Along with the burlap, maybe you should rig up some shade cloth until they dig their feet in more.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 21:57

• seysonn
    9 years ago

If you have a WELL DRAINED medium, watering is not going to do any harm, except washing down some of the nutrients. To compensate for that, fertilize at the same time but like 1/4 strength.

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok Kevin..will do :-)

Stoney

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Didn't mean to hijack the post but thanks Kevin for the advice, it goes along with my line of thinking. I will put up a screen until they "dig in" a bit more and yeah I agree seysonn, one is in the bottom third of an oak barrel filled with 40% MG potting mix, loads of perlite, 10% local sandy soil and leftover millers mix that drains really well, it doesn't show much sign of damping even when I overwater. Love this stuff! learning so much in my first year.

Thanks to all of you.

dj

This post was edited by djoy on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 23:05

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your not hijacking anything. We are all learning which is a good thing :-)

Stoney

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, here he is. He's in a 16" container (7 gal?)
    Put it out last night and shaded it with filtered sunlight.
    Looking really good as of 3 pm today :-)

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Oh yeah! Looking good. Just out of curiosity, when did you germinate the Hungarian Pumpkin.

Side note, I have had a lot of success growing ornamental flowers in pots just like that but when I got my first terracotta pot I was hooked. They breath (unglazed) and you can watch the moisture/mineral line raise and drop fro. the outside of the pots.

This is a good time of the year to pick them up cheap. One of the chain stores here (Shpko) mark all terracotta down like %80 this time of year.

Hope all goes well!

dj

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks man!
    Fast germination. From plant to sprout..9 days.
    This plant is a little over a month old.
    FYI, this is a plastic pot..lol!

Stoney

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

That is fast!

That's where the "but" came in... ;-) I was curious about how old because I am already putting my plan together for next years plants. Think I am going to get started between Sept and Nov this year. If I can get my hands on some C. Pubescens seeds I would get started right away. Plenty of room inside for lights and plants. Gawd I'm hooked. lol!

dj

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I'm pretty addicted!
    My wife thinks I'm nuts. There is very little in the way of heat she can handle so, that's what the Jimmy Nardello and Trinidad perfume are for.
    The Jimmy Nardello BTW is one of the most delicious peppers I've had. If you have not grown this one, I encourage you to do so!

The Hungarian Pumpkin however, is for me. Never grew it, pretty scarce, and supposed to be very good. It gets pretty heavy pods from what I understand so I will add support at some point I suppose.

Stoney

Sponsored