Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crimsontide92

Eating chocolate habanero's

crimsontide92
12 years ago

ladies and gentlemen, i have today for the first time eaten a choc hab that i have grown in my garden. Words cannot express to how much heat came out of this pepper. It lit me up like a Christmas tree i am here to tell you. Eating them straight off the plant will not be in my future again. I did enjoy the flavor, but the heat was almost too much. I will however eat them with something or in something next time. What has been any of yall's experiences with these peppers? This was my first time ever eating a super hot pepper, so maybe i am just not used to it????

Comments (16)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Congratulations!

They are incredibly hot peppers.
    The aroma of the Chocolate Hab is overwhelming, too.

So, did you chew up a whole pepper and swallow it?
    I like to quarter them up on toothpicks and share them with friends ;-)

Josh

• Spongey600
    12 years ago

next year i want to grow these pepers. i only have the chocolate bhut, which i am sure is TOO hot for me to eat a whole one!

Eric

• chesnut_rabbit
    12 years ago

I grew a choc hab a couple years ago. I think they make a killer salsa. They have an awesome flavor, but def pack some heat.

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

im am desperately waiting checking everyday for flowers on those, I cant wait to try one,I've never tasted a chocolate pepper of any kind so im very excited! alas the witing game. So far I have not tried a pepper too hot for me, but I guess thats why im trying to grow as many of the super hots as possible, so I can finally say ok this mother *&%($! is too hot! so far I have only gotten as far as the red savina, but I have 6 0r 7 working now that are supposed to be much hotter! Can't wait!
    paul

• biscgolf
    12 years ago

i'm in my second year with long chocolate habanero... it's certainly extra hot but i can't say i think it's one of the better tasting super hot varieties... i much prefer fatalii's or devil's tongue.

• crimsontide92
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, i did not eat them whole thank God. I did quarter them and shared with some brave friends. I did chew completely and then swallowed while the others i believe just bit and swallowed. I very much enjoyed the flavor. I guess I am going to brave the Yellow scotch bonnet, and then the ghost. I figured, if i am growing them, i need to know what exactly i have!!

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

Amen brother! scotch bonnets I know for a fact have incredible flavor, the yellows are a bit above habaneros if I recall correctly, they make delicious jerk and carribean curries, and also make a fabulous hot sauce w/ cane vinegar,(if you cant find cane vinegar,rice will work in a pinch) onions, garlic and a carrot, roast your peppers whole, along w/ whole garlic cloves, rough chop carrot and onion roast all together in oven @ 400 til garlic is soft and onions translucent, add all to blender or food processor, blend and strain then add a dash of cumin and corriander and salt to taste. now u have a hot sauce that is good on anything. ps if u are picky about ur sauce seperating a pinch of xantham gum will stabilize it and make it pretty,
    Sorry, did I mention I'm a chef?

12 years ago

Hey, Chef ;-)

You've never had a pepper too hot for you?!
    Well, then, I can't wait 'til you chew up a Chocolate Hab....
    Not only will you get the heat, you'll also get the unique aroma -
    and then you'll know how to combine the peppers in a dish.
    I love sliced Choc Habs on a tri-tip, grilled in a barbecue.

Josh

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

not yet Josh, but thats why I am growing all the superhots ;)

12 years ago

I admit, I'm pretty dainty when it comes to the superhots ;-)

Thai chiles are more my speed. Even Tabasco peppers get on top of me if I'm not careful.

The Chocolate Hab is the hottest fresh pepper I've eaten to date.
    I've eaten several, and they're all blistering.

Josh

• tsheets
    12 years ago

Hey chile_freak / chef, do you mind expanding on that recipe a bit (approximate amounts)? If you don't want to give away too much info, I understand, but, sounds interesting.

• chartim
    12 years ago

chile_freak, I would love to see the recipe also if you would be so kind, please.

• simsedward
    12 years ago

Agree..hook up the recipe!

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

No worries, simplest thing in the world:
    8 scotch bonnets( deseed and deplacenta unless u like it HOT
    2 cups cane vinegar(rice if u don't have access to cane)
    1 medium onion (rough chopped)
    1 medium carrot (rough chopped)
    6 cloves garlic
    1/8 tsp cumin
    1/8 tsp corriander
    2 tblsp olive oil
    salt to taste
    pinch of xantham gum(optional)
    preheat oven to 400. place peppers(whole w/o calyx, or deseeded and deplacentaed) garlic, onion and carrot on cookis sheet and drizzle the olive oil over them, roast until, garlic softens and onions are translucent( about 8-10 mins roughly) add all ingredients to blender or food processor, and mix thouroughly, til u have a smooth texture.
    strain and enjoy.good luck! Let me know how it turns out for you. This is one of the simplest hot sauces I make, other than the pepper mash of course: roast garlic and chiles puree in vinegar til desired consistency and add salt, I use thai chile mash on all kinds of stuff and, smoked habaneros make a wicked good pepper mash too( not to mention one hell of a bbq sauce!

• tsheets
    12 years ago

Awesome!! Thanks a bunch! I don't have anything ripe yet (just now setting fruit on most plants), and this is my first year with Scotch Bonnets, so, when I get a fresh harvest, I'll definitely be trying this!

Thanks again, chef! Much appreciated!

• crimsontide92
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awesome, thanks guys. Will try that recipe out. Went to Culinary school, got out once the family came.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living