Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tehyajenz6

When will they turn red already?!

TehyaJenZ6
12 years ago

My cayennes are driving me nuts. This is my first time growing them and while they are producing like crazy, none have turned red yet!

There's several that seem to be full size and have been that way for a few weeks but there is no sign of any turning red. How long does it generally take for Cayennes to go from green to red once they've hit full size?

Comments (10)

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

the good news is I think you are almost done waiting, I am growing many cayennes this year and they set pods in the middle of may and I have been enjoying them for a little over a month so id say it took 3-4 weeks for them to ripen once they hit full size,and they are delicious fresh, just made some blueberry cayenne maple syrup w/ fresh north carolina blueberries this morning mmmmmmmmm delicious. good luck to you
    paul
    paul

• TehyaJenZ6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OMG blueberry cayenne maple syrup sounds simply devine. Two of my favorite things put together, can you share the recipe?

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

Why sho.
    one of two ways to accomplishing this the easy way(which is more expensive)
    or the slightly more involved way(which is much cheaper)
    the easy way:
    4 cayenne peppers (deseeded and deplacentaed) diced
    1 cup blueberries
    1/2 cup water
    2 cups real maple syrup
    put the cayennes, blueberries and water into a small saucepot and heat on med heat for 10 mins or so should be getting pretty pasty about now. then add maple syrup and reduce heat cook for an additional 10 mins blend and strain
    the other way to do this:
    4 cayennes (deseeded deplacentaed)diced
    i cup blue berries
    2 cups water
    2 cups sugar
    2 tsps real maple extract
    put all ingredients in a small saucepot and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 mins or until sugar starts to caramelize a bit, then blend strain and enjoy, while the syrup is cooling a bit make some buttermilk panckes and a good breakfast sausage, youre gonna wanna try some of this when its done cuz it smells heavenly ;)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

I agree that you should start seeing some red ones soon. My plants were not allowed to set fruit until the last week of May. I just picked my first cayenne pods last week. Look for them to go from green to a real dark green before the tip starts getting pinkish red. It seems like it took forever for that first one to go from a hint of red to ripe but now they are ripening much faster once they start turning colors. I am guessing in a week or so, I will be picking them daily by the hand full.

• shoontok
    12 years ago

A watched pod never ripens!!!! lol

Im convinced of this. I have all kinds of pods that arent ripe yet. Probably because i go out to the garden every afternoon to check them. Maybe i should stay away for a couple days, lol.

I did pick a few red cherry peppers that were quite tasty so far, and a few small red pepperoncini pods off one plant that seems a bit stunted with compact growth and small underdeveloped red pods. They are quite delicious tho! They have a sort of sugary sweetness i never tasted on pepperoncini (maybe cause i never give em a chance to ripen ;) Thx again for those seeds Josh!

I got lots of Cayenne pods out there, some very large pods im waiting to turn red too. Be patient Jenny!

Dont be afraid to pick some greens while ya wait. They are yummy too.

Jim

• willardb3
    12 years ago

Patience is a virtue in chile growing.........

• capoman
    12 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. We've had a drought recently, but my cayenne that is in a pot was loaded with green peppers. We had a thunderstorm recently, and the next day almost all of the peppers are turning red at the same time. It's hard to wait sometimes, but looks like once they start, they go quickly.

• Tonio
    12 years ago

Patience is the word ... seems to take forever eh?
    I 've got a Chile de Arbol plant getting ripe slowly from late last week. I've had a few( yes just a few in the 1st flush) prior to that , that I am drying, so I haven't even tasted it yet ;0(
    Not sure if it related to Cayenne, it does have a similar habit of growing upward.

Cheers!!

T

p.s. hmm, I might have to try that recipe, thanks chilefreak !!

• capoman
    12 years ago

Actually Cayenne doesn't grow upward. Tabascos do.

• Tonio
    12 years ago

thanks Capoman, I stand corrected !!

T

Sponsored