Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian6464

Are frozen seeds viable?

brian6464
9 years ago

Wondering if anyone has germinated frozen seeds which were from ripe pods put in the freezer immediately after picking?

In other words, if I save seeds from pods which have been in the freezer for a few weeks, will they germinate next spring with all other things being equal?

Comments (17)

• TNKS
    9 years ago

I air dried all my seeds that came from fresh pods(last year) about a week or so then froze them.(9-10 months)
    I germ'd 47 and I was able to get 41 to set good.
    They are all growing fine,abit slow because they are supers
    but growing none the less.
    Not sure I would freeze fresh seeds though . . . . .

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

I think the key is going to be what TNKS said. I don't know for sure but it seems logical that unless they are thoroughly dried I think your chances would be slim to none.

If you do have seeds from pods that were freshly frozen, pop a few in a wet paper towel and put em in Tupperware and see. Then let us know what happens.

dj

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Many people freeze their seeds. They must be properly dried first though, like TNKS said.

Don't expect a ripe pod thrown in the freezer to deliver good seeds in the spring.

Kevin

• brian6464
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, good to know. So I guess I will just pull the seeds from a few onto a paper plate and then freeze the partially stemmed and seeded pepper.

I'll test a few the other way (frozen then thawed and seeded) this winter and report my findings.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Yep, I agree with the guys. I freeze all of my seeds (I have some that are still germinating and are over 15 yrs old), but, that being said, I only freeze them after they are properly dried. I think there might be enough moisture in the fresh seeds to damage the seed if frozen.
    Pam

• salevene
    9 years ago

But if you took seeds from a pod that was frozen straight after being harvested and got it to germinate, do you think that will affect the plant and its production? Or only that it might be difficult to to germinate, if at all?

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Not likely...it's a standard way for fifty years or more to extend the shelf life of seed stock....stick it in an airtight container in the freezer.

• salevene
    9 years ago

dbarron - but if you get it to germinate, do you think it will produce like any other normal plant or the freezing incorrectly will affect the life of the plant even after you get it to germinate?

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Do you think they did it because it didn't work (for many years) ?

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

I am a little confused by the recent responses... db... what exactly are you saying? The question salevene stated was in regards to freshly frozen, non dehydrated seeds.

Here is an interesting tid bit.... http://www.howtosaveseeds.com/store.php

Id say peppers are desiccation tolerant.

dj

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Ok, I just thought she meant that she was afraid freezing impaired them in some manner.

No to clarify, seeds to freeze are always air dried. Obviously if the seed (like a pea) was not fully dried, the ice crystals would rupture it when frozen.

• salevene
    9 years ago

I'm confused too.

I guess my question is, if by chance the seeds germinate, will they grow normally or I can expect problems through the life of the plant?

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Its a valid question..salevene. I wonder.....? You may have to answer it for all of us if no one knows. You may find that none germinate or some then I would hope you will share as you proceed.

dj

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

If the seeds germinate, they will grow normally.

Dennis

• sandysgardens
    9 years ago

Agree with Dennis. How seed was stored doesn't effect how it grows. However your growing conditions could/will contribute to how well it grows,

• Chad Shearer
    5 years ago

Salevene,

I'm really interested with your results from this experiment. Do you recall how it all turned out? Any success at all?

Chad

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES