Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ghost peppers different from year before. safe?

Posted by Meister14 7a/7b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 18:04

Last year I grew ghost peppers from a reliable seed company. My pods were on the smaller side and slightly bumpy. I understand that is how they are supposed to be. Out of that same packet of seeds I regrew them this year. Now they seem alot longer and extremely bumpy, looking slightly sick. To the GP pros, do you think these look ok? I only have one pic from last season. It is from when I smoked them with a mix of cherry/apple wood. The pics of the green pods are of my current plant. Their is also a pic of one that is turning a silvery purple. Not sure if I should just scrap these 2 plants.

This post was edited by Meister14 on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 18:09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ghost peppers different from year before. safe?

Last years

o

This years 1

This post was edited by Meister14 on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 18:15

o

This years 2

o

The silvery purple one.

o

That is a loaded question, Meister.

Ghost peppers are NEVER safe to eat. They have been known to cause blindness, insanity, and heart attacks, to say nothing of apoplexy in significant others.

That said, I don't expect that this year's crop is any more dangerous than last. I wouldn't plant next year's from the ones with the smooth pods, though. The less dangerous they look, the more dangerous they are.

Dennis

o

I've recently learned that the purple on that pepper is sunburn.

Taking useful information and passing it along. :)

o

DmlMForcier do you think this is what they should look like even though they are different from last year?

Tom 92 thanks. I was so confused because none of my other plants were showing these signs (jalapeño, choc habs, tabasco, scotch bonnet, red cheese and others)

o

I think they look much more like Ghosts this year :-)
Ghosts should be long and have that bumpy skin.

Josh

o

Probably weather related. I agree with Josh... the gnarlier, the better. Regarding the sunburn, blackening is fine. Silvering, or more often beige, is sunBURN...which is no good. Snip it and toss it.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 22:34

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here