Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When are Habaneros ready to pick?

Posted by xephadoo GA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 08 at 18:06

This is the first time I've successfully grown Habaneros, and there are a ton of peppers on the plant.

I've eaten green ones, yellow ones, red ones, etc. So how do I know when the peppers are ripe? Does color dictate it, or some other factor?

Sorry I'm a hot pepper noobie :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When are Habaneros ready to pick?

Ripe color will most likely be yellow or red-perhaps brown,gold, or peach but not green.

o

ah hah! thank you very much.

o

Hi xephadoo,

You will never go wrong following Johns (fiedlemeisters) advice but I would like to add that Orange Habaneros are quite popular and you may have some of those.

This is my first year growing "Gold" (thanks to seed generously provided by John0.. No fruit yet so Im not sure if theyre golden orange or not. If you have lingering orange Hab peppers, they are probably ripe.

p.s. fiedlemeister, the Gold is coming along nicely!

o

thanks for the additional info :)

o

By the time my peppers turn red, they have started to rot. If I pick them when they are still partially green, will they ripen more like tomatoes do?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here