Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sproutinglexi

past due harvest pic!

SproutingLexi
9 years ago

hey there pepper folks,

I've been absent for quite a while, but wanted to show off what your awesome advice and support has yielded.

These are my cayennes! The biggest one is nearly 8in long! Is that typical or did I do something very right? The lower ones were harvested back in June, the top one just yesterday. And there is a lot more coming.

The taste is.. well.. a nice sweet heat. Not anything I would eat fresh by itself, but will make a lovely hot sauce. I am very pleased.

Comments (10)

• SproutingLexi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and the reason behind my absence is this thing I "harvested" back in May. And I don't even own a cabbage patch, isn't that strange?

To be honest it just about killed our garden because of the lack of time to tending.. things were looking pretty sad there for a while, but my husband has taken over the care and we're seeing a lot more little peppers forming. I am amazed they pollinated in upper 90 degree temps!

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Congratulations on the May harvest! Lmao at the cabbage patch remark. Sounds like you have a good husband stepping it up in the garden, and the peppers are looking good!

Best wishes to the family... and peppers... they're family too. :-)

dj

• t-bones
    9 years ago

Congrats on a beautiful May Harvest. With some of these seed swaps you are never sure what you'll get. Looks like you got a keeper.

• SproutingLexi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you!

with how much I babied these plants, peppers are family for sure!

t-bones - those were actually grown from starters. would saving the seeds and growing again yield similar results? (assuming they didn't cross with banana peppers that are entirely too close to them)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Congratulations! Nice Ristra! And not a bad looking baby hand also. It needs some dirt under the fingernails, though.

Kevin

• SproutingLexi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kevin -
    It sure does! I'm looking forward to showing him the wonders of winter gardening later this year. It's looking like we will be skipping having a summer garden next season due to some long term travel plans. But I will be checking in on everyone else's progress nevertheless.

Side question: how long do these typically produce? As long as I can keep them alive? We had a distinct flush earlier in the season and are having another one right now. (Most likely due to getting back on a decent watering schedule and feeding them some seaweed)

The other peppers are doing so-so. Bells are downright disgusting tasting, even though the plants are healthy. Bananas are being funny. The large plant produced about 10 in one flush. The other plant got stunted and never grew past 6in but keeps producing large peppers one by one. Those are super delicious especially if I let them turn orange.

I am very interested in doing more varieties next time around.

9 years ago

Yep. But even if you live where frost doesn't come, they slow down in the late fall/winter due to less light and cooler temps.

Just keep picking and they'll keep putting out more.

I hate GREEN bells myself, but love colored ones. Let them turn color and then give em a taste... totally different!

Kevin

• SproutingLexi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kevin,

I have been letting them turn bright red before picking. They still taste rather funky. But they also look kind of small and a little mangled. I have a better looking one forming there right now. Let's see if taste and looks have anything in common!

Well, that figures about late season. I'm in southern TX, so the temps start dropping later, but I'm sure they will stop producing sometime. I have absolutely no room for overwintering, so I'll see what to do with them. They got quite bad pest damage at one point so they are probably not the best candidates for that kind of a thing anyway.

9 years ago

Hmm. Sounds like some roasting may be in order for them then. Anything to pull that sweetness out.

Funny you mention overwintering.. I don't do it myself, but colored bells would be the varieties I might try again, simply because the # of pods is low and they take so long to turn color.

Kevin

• flipback23
    9 years ago

Congrats on both harvest... Both look awesome enjoy the May harvest while u can lol. They grow fast and then your like I remember when you were this small lol.
    Rey