Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrea1102_gw

Growing NM green chilis in containers - Help!

Andrea1102
9 years ago

Hi! First time post- I picked up Sandia Hot new Mexico gren chile seeds and started them in seed trays a while back, they've germinated great and eventually transplanted them to 3-4inch containers once they reached four-5 leaves. Out of the 50, a good 30 are growing good with approx 9 leaves looking nice. I need help from here- when do I transplant them and how? I have 5 gallon buckets and would like to grow them all seperatelt in then, but I've already transplanted two to the buckets and put them outside (the others still in the 4 inch containers inside on window sill light). The two I tested in the 5 gallon buckets are not growing at all- the ones inside are still growing but the stalk is thin.
I also tested four others in a garden bed outside, and those are growing with a very thick stalk and beautiful green.
Ones inside on sill in 4 inch containers are a very thin stalk, light green, but good leaves.
What's the difference, is it too hot? Are 5 gallon buckets too big for one plant? And when do I move the inside guys to outside containers? I'm in southern California and its pretty hot out- but I'm not sure what's wrong. Need help! It's VERY hard to find information on growing actual chilies that I purchased in Albuquerque, New Mexico and how to grow them in southeb California. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. I wanna get these beauties to flower! And why are the stalks from inside so thin?
-lost!

Comments (5)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Welcome!

There is always a little bit of transplant shock as the plants get used to their new homes. They will pause, sometime wilt, then accelerate. You can't have a bucket that is too big.

What potting mix are you using in the buckets? It can make all the difference in the world.

The ones inside need to have some wind blowing on them to thicken up the stems preparatory to moving out into the wild. Got a fan? Use it.

After transplanting you can move them outside, but not into the sun yet. Set them in shade for up to a week as they get used to the wind and (much brighter) shade.

Do you have previous experience growing plants in containers?

Dennis

• Andrea1102
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the response!
    I have been growing in containers for over a year now, due to the fact that I have been living in an apartment complex. Great sun, all concrete on ground floor, so containers have mostly been the best. I do have a 3x3 foot planter box set up on casters that have been successfully growing tomatoes year round.
    As far as chilis though, AND as far as growing from seed rather than from buying from my nursery, this is my very first time.
    I wish I had pics to show, but camera will not be available until
    Tomorrow. I'll post pics of the chilis tomorrow.
    I'm thinking I may have transplanted the first two too early- they have been in 5 gal buckets since June 6, and no growth. Faded green color, and lost its bottom set of leaves but no wilt and so far stands strong but the stalk is super thin.
    When the three I transplanted to a garden bed from my neighbor on 6/7/14, they're a beautiful dark green with a thick stalk an over 17 leaves- and growing!
    I'd like some information on hardening- perhaps I didn't harden them off correctly..
    I have approx 20 in my window sill light in the 4 inch containers looking pretty good, tall, around 9-10 leaves, but nothing compared to the ones I put in garden bed. All are the same exact soil. I'm thinking soon the ones in the window will need to be transplanted, because of course they're getting top big. Any advice on how to do so? Should I keep them on my balcony first once brought outside- where they get only an hour-two of direct sun at first? These little guys are so precious I am ecstatic they've grown so well from seed- need to keep them going!
    Maybe I should purchase some good potting mix before I put them in buckets, any suggestions? Fertilize afterwards or no?
    Thank you again!!!!!
    :)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

I'm pretty happy with the pro-mix HP since I've tried it. They have it at Home Depot now. Another good one and less expensive is E.B. Stone potting soil. Both are excellent choices. I see you are also in So. Cal :-)

Stoney

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

Good to see you made it over here andrea. I'm sure this is where the pepper experts are. ;)

I second E.B. Stone potting soil - my basil loved it when I transplanted them from cells to 4" pots. And I mean loved it.

I may lurk on this thread to see what I might learn - am now wondering why I didn't think of putting a Big Jim in my garden thsisyear....dang.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

> "nothing compared to the ones I put in garden bed. All are the same exact soil. "

I think as much as anything that's your problem. Good garden dirt does not work in containers. Within the walls of a pot it holds too much water down below the top layer where you stick your finger and keeps the roots from growing well. Peppers do not like wet feet.

Use a commercial potting mix and possibly add some perlite. When I'm not making my own mix I use Miracle Gro Moisture Control, though undoubtedly there are better. (I've never used EB Stone - I'm not sure we have it here.)

There are two things to worry about when hardening off: 1) sun exposure, 2) wind. If the plants are in a sunny window you're probably mostly there now for sun. But they also have to experience wind or air movement to develop the thick stem needed withstand higher winds.

Other than mixing a slow-release fert (e.g. Osmocote) into the potting mix, don't fertilize immediately on transplanting. Keep the stress to a minimum.

Good luck,
    Dennis

Sponsored