Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20039395

pickles

User
9 years ago

I canned some pickles and carrots today. I put my thai hot, Cheyenne and thai dragon in them. It's very satisfying making these with everything coming out of my garden.
I wish I would have thought to plant some hot wax, banana, and mild peppers to pickle. If my reaper plants make it Il take a few pods off of them next year to pickle with carrots and cucumber and call the "tactical nuclear pickles" lol
Randal

Comments (16)

• Meister14
    9 years ago

Looking good. I love doing pickles! Ive failed at jalapenos though. Come out wayyyyy to mushy

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't pickled jalapeños before. I don't know of I could get them crisp or not. Next year for sure on the Hungarian hot wax. I've been seeing a lot of post on the aji lemon I wonder if they are good made canned.
    Randal

• Meister14
    9 years ago

As long as they stay crisp the sound amazing if they were canned

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

you might soak the hot peppers in lime overnight before you can them ⦠rinse 'em good and pickle 'em ⦠works with cukes

• Meister14
    9 years ago

As long as they stay crisp the sound amazing if they were canned

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Great work! We canned 80 quarts of pickles on Wednesday - dill, spicy, and bread and butter. We also pickled some beans, carrots, brussel sprouts, and peppers. I love the spicy pickles with fresh hot peppers added.

Josh

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow!!! Josh 80 quarts!!!! I'm tired from these 9. Last year we pickled about 25 in a day......that was a long day.
    But we do love em and all my friends do to.
    Randal

9 years ago

Yeah, it's tiring! The part I hate is scrubbing the cucumbers! Kills my back. We have a nice big kitchen at the Farm, so we have two hot water baths going, and one big brine pot. We can only boil 7 quarts at a time, so it still takes a while....but we just keep the line moving, getting jars prepped, brined, et cetera.

This weekend, we sold 50 quarts of pickles....so we'll be in the kitchen again very soon.

Last year, we did about 480 quarts, and the last reserve jars sold out three weeks ago. We're just now getting started due to a slow cucumber season...but we're going to process a lot more this year. We also stock the shelves at the wine-tasting room where we have our Farm Stand set up on weekends, and it's hard to keep up with the demand.

Josh

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Beautiful photo! I smile when I think of the jars pinging. Total satisfaction for a job well done.

-Babka

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah my back and feet are sore now. I only have 3 plants this year I don't remember how many I had last year but it was about 8 to many. I guess I'm gonna break down and buy some wax peppers to pickle I don't know why I didn't plant any.
    Babka I was smiling when they made their crisp little pop to.

9 years ago

Love that *ping* that let's you know the lids are tight! :-)

This was the highlight of the day. Two of our regular customers brought their grand-daughter with them, and she was fascinated by the pickle jars! This was one of the funniest pics. The customers also brought me a tupperware of salsa they'd made with our peppers, onions, and tomatoes....oh, and the fella's wife was not happy about how hot the salsa turned out! hahaha! It wasn't even very warm....certainly not hot ;-)

Josh

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol she looks like she's having fun. Oh nice you have labels too. I'm going to order some radio active labels for the tactical nuclear carrots and pickles if I get some super hots next year I think it be fun to put those on the jar. We made salsa yesterday with thai dragon and hots, and tomatoes and onions from the garden. It was pretty good but I thought it could use some more heat.
    Randal

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Josh - I didn't know you had a farm! You should come over to the Market Gardener forum once in a while!

9 years ago

Hey! I don't personally have a farm....I'm friends with the owners of Jardin del Rio, and this is my third Summer working with the owner's daughter. We've expanded to three Farmers markets this season, which is tiring but fun.

Josh

• User
    9 years ago
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol that's awesome!!!! I'll check the site out now.
    Thanks
    Randal