Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmg715

Fungus on my Bhut pods?

DMG715
10 years ago

Has anyone seen this on their pods and know what it is and/or what to do? I live in NE Ohio and this is from a plant I over wintered. Many fruit with this problem. I water only at the base of the plant.

Comments (10)

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

where at in NE ohio?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Looks like BER

Mark

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I agree with Mark, except the blackness. I get a pod now and then(not superhots) with it, but it's usually a tan color.

Kevin

• jean001a
    10 years ago

The black is a secondary infection on the damaged tissue.

• DMG715
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Scorpion, the Warren area. Thank you for the input! So, blossom end rot. Too much fertilizer??? Too much water? I've read adding calcium will help. Any tips anyone can provide? I have 15 large Bhut and 10 Trinidad that have a lot of fruit and would hate to have a large loss! My friends and family are looking forward to this season's sauce!

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

you are only like 45 minutes from me

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

No idea, how to dealt with it. Just I found this link.

Caelian

Here is a link that might be useful: BER

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

I never really got around to doing research on it but I get that sometimes on a few, seems like it happens more with lower temps and too much rain. you will find that some of the pods that look perfect on the outside will be moldy on the inside when you cut them open. i grow enough i never really worried or took the time to check into it. John

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

DMG: You want calcium in your mix or soil from the get go because it takes so long to break down-- bone meal, lime, gypsum.

But you might look into getting a water soluble form of it maybe from a hydroponics store. Or try googling "smokemaster witch's brew." He makes calcium acetate out of dolomite lime and vinegar that's readily usable by the plant.

Kevin

• DMG715
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all!
    I found a paper from NMSU Chile Pepper Institute that may help others too. All my plants are in pots with good drainage, so I don't believe I am over watering, but maybe.
    Woohoo - have a hydroponics store in town, gonna check it out, thanks.
    John - I'll send you an email.

Here is a link that might be useful: NMSU paper on BER

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company